Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone out here take a look at this pic and suggest the correct way to fix this. I do not want to compromise the sled... My wife is already ticked at me for not having this checked out.. I was thinking J.B. weld on the crack then paint. Should I go through the bother of riviting a new piece of sheet metal over this crack???

SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND WITH SOME IDEAS..

Thank You

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my tunnel cracked accross the stirrup, up the side and over the top and about two inches in under the seat just above the carriage mounting bolt. My brother is a Northwest Jet Mechanic and had aircraft rivets, so we took a piece of about 1/8" THK aluminum plate and bent it, over plated it, drilled a million holes and riveted it in place. Turned out awsome, we lined up the holes in a decent pattern and now the plate looks factory and is stronger than new. I would recommend the air craft style rivets, super strong and look just like the rivets the factory uses on the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Not sure how big the crack is, but if you don't want to fill it with rivets,
go find a really good welding shop and have the aluminum welded.
It's expensive, but looks very nice.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
i agree with 500fasenuf, if it's welded properly it perform fine...it might cost in upwards of $60 depending on how difficult it is to weld and where you take it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help.. I had an email suggesting to cut a piece of sheet metal and rivet it in place.. This is what I did this afternoon (15 degrees in my garge so I froze my a** off). I went to a local body shop and they gave me a piece of scrap.. Thanks for your help and this should work.. I will paint it this spring...

On a side note: I am riding in Sault Sainte Marie this weekend for the first time.. anyone have any advice or ideas for places to go LEMME KNOW...

muchas gracias

1 - 7 of 7 Posts