Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just recently on my '97 XLT SKS, when I get done riding my sled, the idle will go to around 3000 RPM and jump up to 4000 RPM and then jump back down to 3000 and go back up and it'll repeat itself almost. Now, when I shut it off and fire it back up, it idles at around 2000 like it should. Any ideas what could be causing this? It was fine just last week also.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
no reeds on a xlt.... I would do a carb cleaning...slides sticking.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It may be running a bit lean, next time it does it, blip the choke and see if it idles down where it's supposed to. My 550 does the same thing; turning in the air screws a bit helped some, but didn't totally eliminate it. Also, check for a crankcase seal going out, especially on the PTO side...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. When I took the airbox off real quick yesterday, I toched the carb slides and each one was moving freely. SnowKingSpecial, she was pretty warm. I did this test about 3 times to see if it would go away but didn't. Like I said, it was fine just a week ago but it still runs great, just won't idle down. I'll clean the carbs again and check the cables and air and idle adjustments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts