Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Idle should be about 1000-1500, clutch should engage at 3500-3600rpm.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, my idle is about 1250 now and the clutch engages at 4000. I notice a heavy bog from idle to full throttle, although now with carb adjustments it doesn't stall. Does the idle mixture needle need adjustment? What should the ideal set position(factory)??[:p]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your idle sounds real good. The bog could be lots of different things, bad plugs, weak fuel pump, bad gas,just to name a few. If it runs good at ful throttle then your main jet is fine your needle adjusts fuel from idle to 2/3 throttle. Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
BTW your clutch rpm is fine. A buddy at work has his mxz600 engage at 6000. Hard on the wrist but fast out of the hole.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks smokey, in order to get it up into the higher RPMS I need to pump the trottle several times. If I nail it the engine has a big bog, but doesn't stall. Note all of this is done with no load on the sled as the track is lifted into the air.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
sounds like a low end lean bog. Alot of sleds will do that until they are warmed up, otherwise, maybe your pilot jet is partially clogged?

-Dean

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thaks Dean, I will let it warm up for 10 minutes tomorrow and try it again. I recently cleaned the carbs and the pilot jet seemed alright.

Larry

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most skidoo's base idle is between 1500 and 2000 rpm.. I know my Formula, my brother inlaws Mach1, and my father inlaws Grand Touring all have the same base idle....

·
Registered
274 Posts
sounds like a low end lean bog. Alot of sleds will do that until they are warmed up
any way to fix it? 3 polaris's and all 3 bog like that when their cold? is it normal or something need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can start by cleaning your carbs. If that don't work go one step up on your pilot jet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Smokey, what is the best way to clean out the pilot jet? I have taken all three of the carbs and cleaned them out with carb cleaner, nothing else. I sprayed in all of the openings and it didn't look like any were clogged. Should I soak them overnight in fuel?? [8D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
When you pull your float bowl, you'll see the pilot jet imbedded up in there, not too far from your mains. Unscrew it and pull it out, unscrew your airscrew, and blow that passageway out. If you look at your pilot jet, you'll see 4 tiny holes in it, make sure you blow those clean as well, along with the passageway lengthwise through it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I found it is easier to spend the extra $5.00 on a new jet than trying to clean them. Just save your old on soak it and use it again later.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NightTrain, Smokey thanks for the replies.

I will follow your input later today and try to clean/and or replace the pilot jet. In general, for soaking carb and parts, is raw fuel okay or is there something else on the market that works better? Thanks again for the heads up....[:D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just use a can of carb cleaner, an old toothbrush is handy to get all the residue off the outside parts before I open up the carb.
As far as soaking, carb cleaner evaporates too fast, some gas in a bowl will work fine. But when you think about it, your carbs are soaking constantly in gas on the inside. Just some carb cleaner and some scrubbing action should clean it up fast, it always has for me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't seem to unscrew the pilot jet. I don't want to damage it and try with a wrench to turn it clockwise and counterclockwise, it doesn't want to move. What is the normal setting on the air screw? Is it 1-1.5 turns from fully closed?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your pilot jets will unscrew counter-clockwise. Use as large of a screwdriver as you can & it'll break loose.
You're not going to hurt them, just use good pressure so the screwdriver doesn't slip out of the slot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NightTrain, I did not see a slot on the pilot jet and I tried to turn with a small vise grip. I did blow it out and will run the sled today. I will post later on the performance. Thanks for all of your input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts