Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 85 indy 600 put all back together and wow. The only problem is it idles at 4000 rpms. That not good right.
Also is it normal for them to spit the coolant out of the top of the coolant bottle.
I am runnin 240 jets in it and I sit at 4500-5500ft. Is this to lean or to rich.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
No 4000 is not god it should be around 1600 to 1800, and no it shouldn't be spitting coolant outr the top of the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
one of the heads must be leaking compression into the coolant system.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Your sled should idle around 1,600-1,800 rpm. make sure your carbs are closing all the way...if they arent, adjust your cables and/or idle screws until you get it where it belongs. Make sure you adjust all your carbs equally. As for the coolant thing, Did you properly burp your coolant system after you rebuilt it? If not you need to do that before you can condemn a leaking head gasket as the problem. But you must first fix your idle setting. To bleed or Burp your coolant system, you need to idle the engine VERY slowly...under 1000 rpms if you can get it to stay running that slow...i think my polaris book says 600 rpm...but i have never seen a 2-stroke engine run that slow without stalling. So around 1000 rpm's should work. Raise the front of the snowmobile about 2-3 feet higher than it normally is while sitting on the ground, release the pressure lever on the radiator cap and allow the engine to idle for 2-5 minutes. This should purge all of the air out of the cooling system. If you still push coolant out the overflow bottle, you are probably looking at either a blown head gasket or an overheat problem caused by boiling coolant. Does your "temp" light work on your sled?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i can get my modded 83 600 to idle at 800 rpm for the burping the coolant system.it should not be spitting anything out. Triumph is right on the money as usual

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Of course if you filled the overflow bottle right to the top, then it will leak as the engine warms up.. Other than that Triumph is right. The system must be properly bled before jumping the gun and saying you have leaking heads.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys this really helps. I know the light works but I am not sure of the temp gauge does. Does tinkering with the Idle screws lean or richen the mixture were it can burn down. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Idle screw doesnt mess with the mixture as bobby said. All the idle screw does is raise the throttle slide just as if you had your thumb on the throttle ever so slightly. The air screw on the other hand does adjust your mixture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts