Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to different poeple on what to do if your sled happens to go through the ice. I've heard of getting the sled on it's back (ski's up in the air) , or have it turned to one side?
I want to know if any of you know the best thing to do if that ever happens.
IT hasn't happend to me or anyone i know YET , heheh but just curious on the best steps to take ,,other then draining out your carbs?

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
You dry it out [:)]

I guess it depends on who u talk to. Some say drain gas tank, oil tank, take out spark plugs and turn engine by hand to pump water out, take exhaust off and make sure it's empty, clean carbs, take seat cover off and let foam dry. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends on how long it is under water. Your best bet would to be probably re-build it.
My buddy sunk 3 of his machines last year when they were going to their camp and they had to tear the motors right down and re-build them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that's 2 extrems ,, one says dry it out ,, the other says rebuild , mmm, i'm hoping it wouldn't have to be rebuild. Cause i even watch those show's on ESPN or TSN were they got sled races on water and the comentator mentioned that what they do is get the machine in air with ski's up ,, dry it off a bit ,, then start cranking ,, should start once carbs are emptied out of water????

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
once engine, pipe and carbs are empty of water, and you don't have a gas tank full of water, it should run. But the seat will immediately soak up water like a massive sponge. That would have to be dried.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool , dry it= letting it sit there?? or cranking it will help get some of the water out, but if there's water in your base ,,how the heck can that come out

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Also, once you start going under, hit the kill switch. If your not sucking water, therotically(sp), you just be able to pull the plugs, flip the machine, crank it over, and good to go. Thats what I've read anyhow, knock on wood, eh.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Water can and WILL get in the crackcase. There is a plug on the bottome of the engine, undo it and drain the water out, drain and clean the carbs, change the gas, change the oil, take plugs out, pull engine over a few times, put dry plugs in and start the sled up. It should work. Jsut because there is water in the crankcase doesn't mean there is something that needs to be fixed, water can get in very easily on most all sleds.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tips guys ,,it's good to know ,, now i'll just stay over 60mph on the lakes and should be fine
heheh

·
Registered
32 Posts
Though I have never done it, nor would I with my sleds, I go to alot of pond hops in the summer.These guys ride across a 280 yard pond, some go completely around it several times. Sooner or later some will sink [waters 12 ft. deep].They pull the sled out, tip it on it's side, pull the plugs and start cranking over. They are useally back on the water in 1/2 to 3/4 hour. Also ride with no seats.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with erick about the water in the crankcase. Sinking your machine is not that big of a problem if you get it out in a reasonable amount of time, don't leave it there untill next weekend.

One thing we use to dry the seat is to take it off, carefull take the cover off, now comes the fun part. Take a couple sheets of 5/8 or thicker plywood, put the seat between the plywood and run it over a few time with your truck. Works great, you will still have to let it dry in a warm place for a bit, but is cuts way down on the drying time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like pigboy said #1 thing to do is hit the kill switch. The most important thing to saving your engine. Hydro-lock your engine and you will need the rebuild. Otherwise pull plugs, and start pulling the cord!

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is easy...Stay the heck off the water and you will not have to worry about it..Just watch and let the other guy worry how he is goint to handle it...

·
Registered
502 Posts
We sunk one of our race sleds 2 years ago. Fun job. Just to be safe we took our time but all we did is take the motor out and turned it upside down adn turned it over a few times. Then we filled the crankcase with mixed gas and cranked it over then tipped the motor over and let it drain. Did that about 9 million times. Dumped the carbs and chaincase and Drained the gas and oil tanks and threw the seat away after 3 months of trying to dry it out.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by BoonDock
[br]That is easy...Stay the heck off the water and you will not have to worry about it..Just watch and let the other guy worry how he is goint to handle it...
Sometimes you have no choice though. Last year we were going for a ride late in the year near Barnum, MN. Came to a river that was about 50 feet wide, complety open, and raging to boot with run-off. Looked intimidating, but with a good start, was a piece of cake. As someone said earlier, short distances aren't bad at all with any kind of speed. However, I don't go out of my way looking to water skip.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
This video was posted on here over the summer and completely answer the above question posed.
It is really cool too.
Enjoy!
Kev

http://devil.swebase.com/~tobe/filmer/the-yellow-submarine.wmv

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hhmmm.. I can get vid to work anymore, It buffers 10% plays then I get a network error... I don't know whats up with that......

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Worked just fine for me, try downloading it, right click, then save target as.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Speaking of sinking a machine, my buddy just sunk his XCR 600 a few minutes ago when they were all fooling around on the slush/open water. I guess his belt got wet and down it went about 3-4 feet then there was ice again. We pulled it out by hand and going to pick the machine up in a few minutes. He tried to pull it over and it felt like it was ceased, didn't even want to pull.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts