Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Polaris 800 RMK Vertical Edge. The sleds starts and idles like a top, however upon acceleration the igntion cuts out as if the kill switch is activated or the throttle cable hang up safety is activated. The engine will die or stumble if I continue to try and accelerate.
I have trie adjusting the throttle cable to the .030" clearance as per the service manual with no resolve. I have also completely disconected the kill switch and throttle cable safety on the throttle block and this made no difference. I also tried disconnecting the TPS which did not make any difference.
The weird thing is that the machine has been running great and this problem appeared out of no where. If you let the machine idle for awhile or longer than the usuall warm up it will begin to accelerate normally without the ignition stumbling. As soon as you shut it off and it cools down abit the problem will reappear. It has done this on the last four outings.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be, or where I should look? I believe that I have ruled out an incorrectly adjusted throttle cable, faulty throttle cable block and the TPS sensor on the carbs.
Looking forward to any and all response.

·
Registered
273 Posts
On the 02-05 the water temp sensors can go bad, when they do it will run poorly(ignition will cut out or will run like it's running very rich). There are 2 options, one is just purchase a new water temp sensor, two is Slp make a jumper wire for about 12 bucks. Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rlichtenberg said:
On the 02-05 the water temp sensors can go bad, when they do it will run poorly(ignition will cut out or will run like it's running very rich). There are 2 options, one is just purchase a new water temp sensor, two is Slp make a jumper wire for about 12 bucks. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the response. I just put in a new Temp sender, maybe it's faulty. The sled appears to run fine once it's warmed up good. Is there an OHM test I can do on the sensor that you are aware of?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts