Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of you might have a dad or grandpa that remembers the cars from the 60's-70's. in 1971 you could go down town and buy a new 440 six pack, cuda, 375 hp and 450 lbft of torque. then came epa. in 74, only several years later that same car had less than 300 hp and 400 torque. how do you think they felt. thats how i feel about sleds. yes suspension has came a long way, along with other things, and i am a big advocate for snomibiling, i am joining both local clubs, and have offered and help for the last couple years for trail maintanance and talking to land owners if they needed it. so when i get hard on the big four its for this reason. where have we gone. if a sled was 116 hp in 96 and gave a great ride on the trail, shouldnt that same class be in the 120's and have a lot more bells and wistles? in 98 the xcr was at 150+ hp with a great trail sled, shouldnt the new 800 be atleast that hp with a better trail ride and more cockpit comfort? maybe more guages to tell us what is going on, shouldnt electric fuel, temp, exhuast, be standard? yes the new ones are lighter. are they more comfortable for a high milage ride? maybe that says it a little more clearly.lol

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
the future of snowmobiling.....i dont think sleddin would be as fun if it were like riding in a car, u gotta be out in the open, taking ur beating, personally i rarely look at my speedo or tach even, so iw ouldnt want ne other guages to look at too, u have ur dummy lights and thas all u need, as for the engines......isnt the 800 XCR still at 150 hp...u cant tell me it went down or i will be bewildered (big word for me)....once its gone so far, and u have all that power, theres not much u can do, i mean ur on a 500 lbs machine w/ 120 hp compared to a vehcile w/ a 150hp er so, u got plenty of power and sooner or later on a sled u wouldnt even be able to use the engine to its full potential...

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
More complaining about new sleds that he doesn't like. Whatever.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
no no wannabe, he isn't glorifying the RX-1 in this one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you look at the rizing costs of new cars with all the bells and wistles, I am more than happy with the performance and suspension gains in the new sleds... the prices have not gone up a whole lot when you figure in what we have gained. I guess for me, low price is good, if you want all the bells and wistles add them as you see fit. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i redid the marketing in a nicer tone. yes the xcr has way more power than can be used in a tight trail. when we were in the up, i rode for milage, at 85-90 mph i was barely at 7200 rpm with a ton of throttle left. idiot lights would propably be better for trail machines, but if we had lights for exhaust temps think of how much less burn downs there would be, hold her open till the light blinks, that would be nice. i would go by a pro x right now if they offered the tripple in it without adding wieght to the chasis, like they did in the gen11. i could always fix the seat and handlebar pads.

ya, price is always an issue. but maybe we will get lucky with the slow economy and see some big rebates or something.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Thanks madcow for clarifying this, the above post clears up alot of [:(!] I had towards you.

I have to agree with you on the exhaust temp thing. I like the no-clutter dashboard on a sled, but a light for things like that would probably help alot.

I have nothing against the triple, but when they drop that engine in the chassis, they usually have to beef things up, because the engine itself weighs more. The 2002 limited build of Pro X 600's actually didn't have exposed risers and wires and stuff, it was all closed in, so you could probably obtain something to fix that up for yourself if they offered the triple.

Everyone has their own preference, and I have no problem with guys who want lots of HP and lots of speed, as long as they don't try to make my preference, which is light with tons of suspension look bad.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Madcow
Trying to make me feel old,my first used car was a 60 corvair,But i,m still only a dad,,Grandpa ,well thats a scary thought.with teanage kids you know.LOL

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you want it, make it!! Buy a rolling chasis(pro-x) and drop a triple in it, I've seen a few pics of engine weights. The ones I saw the twin and tripple were Exactly the same or within a pound or two! The difference in weights is usually in the chassis, the pics I describe are from various Polaris engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts