Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[V]I put in a new set of needle and seats in my Ultra. Went to start it the next couple of days and it was completely full of gas, drained it and ran okay. Turned gas line off, no snow til this weekend, turned gasline on, started first pull with a backfire. I took off, fouled another plug. replaced that, ran good all day. put it away, left gas on, it was full again tonight. The needle and seats were 1.5's. Any ideas, I have had the carbs off 4 times this year already. Really starting to get tired of this thing! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Im going to add something in with this topic...My 95 xcr 600 does the same thing I have to shut the gas off every time im done riding it so the gas doesnt run back and flood the motor..Would putting a new needle and seat in fix this problem or is their something more to it???

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
falstaff beat me to this one, check your impulse line that powers your pump, will allow gas to enter the case via bad fuel pump

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guy's, you have my attention. I replaced the needle and seats first thing this fall, maybe the fuel pump did something while sitting all summer. I'll have to dig in and look for impulse line. XLT Man, what am I looking for here? Do you rebuild a fuel pump, or replace it?Zack, I adjusted the float levels already, I went through carbs 3 time after initial time this year, making sure I put all the parts back the right way. Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
the replacement needles ,where they viton tip type.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you already replaced the needle n seats, and adjusted the floats, the only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump issue others just spoke of. These are the only things I can think of that would cause your problem. You can just get a fuel pump rebuild kit. They're inexpensive.

When I replaced my needle n seats this fall, I put in the viton tipped ones.....they're suppose to seal better than the plain steel tipped ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't ask for viton tipped needle n seats. They were about $13 a piece, I believe they had a rubber tip, maybe that's what it was? Can you guy's tell me what the impuslse line is and what I should look for. I guess my next step will be to rebuild the fuel pump. It's in a great place on the Ultra, It's even riveted to the plate. Thanx for your help guy's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The impulse line runs from the crankcase (engine) to the fuel pump. On your fuel pump there will be an outlet for incoming fuel, one outlet for each carb, and an outlet going to the crankcase.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts