Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought this 1998 XC from a friend of my dads who never rode it. It had around 2,000 miles on it and is in immaculate shape. All shocks had just been rebuilt and it moved pretty good. I then put cheater heads on it, an older slp silencer thats got more of a deeper rumble to it, V Force 3 reeds, and an aftermarket clutch kit. This fall I built my own 4" riser and put that on keeping the stock bars. After that I put some pwermadd handguards on and now am thinking of putting a newer suspension in either keeping it 121" or going to 136" after riding this weekend in the powder. I am going to have this sled for a while and would like a better ride. Should i put in an edge, M-10 or suspension out of a pro x? any input and thought are greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. Second, nice sled[thumb].

Theres a lot of huys on here that know a lot more than me about suspensions, but I do have experience with exactly what you are looking to do.

My xc had an M10 in it when I bought it. The ride quality was much better than the stock susp would have been, but there is some compromise with an M10. Your traction out of the hole will suffer a little and I wasnt happy with the big bump capability. I could also bottom the M10 fairly easily with the right set of moguls or a small jump. On the upside, it was GREAT for stutter bumps and smaller moguls. The M10 excels during normal riding. But if you ride hard, drag race, or like jumping. Its prob not the right susp for you.

I Installed a pro-x skid in my sled this past fall and love it. Jumping, racing, banging around on snowbanks and such. 200 miles of hard riding and I have yet to bottom it out. It just dosnt do as well as the M-10 in stutter bumps, but I expected that. Medium sized moguls get soaked up nicely, just not as nicely as with the M10.

Either susp will cost you about 3-5 mph on top end.

Hope this helps.
Good luck

· Registered
3,504 Posts
u def want to go 136 IMO,that rear suspension in the XC has 1 downfall. They didnt come with FOX in the rear. Let us know whats in there and we can help u better cuz that xtra10 is a great suspension dialed in proper.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i did not incluse this earlier but I also put a fox shock in the rear skid. My dads friend bought it but never put it in and it is charged for a heavy guy and i only weigh about 189 but i put the shock in and i believe it is a Fox PS3 which I think is in my dads edge suspension and it hasnt bottomed out but doesnt soak up bumps nicely

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Snowmobile Snow Sled

Here's my XC with an M10. I went with it for the reasons stated in the first post. I don't really jump much or ride to break something so the M10 fits my needs.

On a side note, my brother in Stillwater, MN has a 136 X10 skid that should be for sale soon. He can also include Fox shocks and a really nice 136 track if interested.
D

Attachments

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dman said:
Land vehicle Vehicle Snowmobile Snow Sled

Here's my XC with an M10. I went with it for the reasons stated in the first post. I don't really jump much or ride to break something so the M10 fits my needs.

On a side note, my brother in Stillwater, MN has a 136 X10 skid that should be for sale soon. He can also include Fox shocks and a really nice 136 track if interested.
D
Really? well that would be great! I would really go to a 136" skid for a little more fun in the powder after burying my sled last weekend. PM if you know when he is selling it. I do like the look of the M10 in ytour sled but i feel like i might break it seeing as i have broken four suspensions previous to this one

· Registered
1,378 Posts
bokeson said:
ok just a question. im new to the site also. how do i post my own thread on the forums?
Click on Forum, scroll down to find what topic best describes what you want to discuss, click on it and at the top right you'll see NEW TOPIC, click on it and start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.