Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a triple. There is a reason why they have for the most part stopped making them. Too heavy, unreliable, underpowered, and so on. Go with a big twin - a far superior sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
Radar and GPS proven to be 128mph STOCK.

Thundercats need a few things to be reliable. Different pistons, trued crank, and some carb adjustments and they're pretty reliable. Will pass anything but a gas station. The only thing you really wont be happy with is the weight. I will have to disagree with Pigboy as well. They stopped making them for emissions and smaller motors to fit in newer sleds with less room. I've seen Yamaha triples go flawlessly for 10,000+ miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wat piston and crank

because it has v3 reeds or something its a nice sled electric start reverse stud tricked out suspension many things it has 4000 miles i think idk but the compression is great i know just cant remember the exact psi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
nskhellfire said:
wat piston and crank
I've been told that forged pistons are something that should be used, and to make 100% sure that you allow the engine time to warm up or else the piston will expand faster than the engine and cause a meltdown. The crank is the crankshaft. Some have slight balance issues which when trail riding only is no big deal, but when you beat on them it causes engine failure. If you don't know much about working on snowmobiles, I recommend not investing in a T-Cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
great sled great price depending on condition.

take everything sled crusher said and forget it 100% wrong.

a tcat will get similar milage to other sleds.

the issue with the engines are you should put a new water pump seal/bearings in it. if that goes they can shew up the engine. they have a counter balance shaft in them. talk to some t cat guys for more info. blaine on here has lots of good info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
My dad had a couple of them. A 1000 triple will not make anywhere near as good of fuel economy as a new twin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
^ your dad has had 1 or 2 of every thing that has ever been made...and you have a story about it, to back up that claim...

Maybe from now on, just tell us about the things he hasnt done-did-or going to do...[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
pigboy said:
I wouldn't bother with a triple. There is a reason why they have for the most part stopped making them. Too heavy, unreliable, underpowered, and so on. Go with a big twin - a far superior sled.
Nice "poker face" pigboy[;)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
My buddy has a 1998 Tcat 900. From our own experience with them, they are a decent sled for groomed trail riding and speed. I wouldnt be buying it if you plan on playing in the powder. His is half decent on gas, could always be better. And i know hes always complaining about the weight. Depending on what your doing with the sled weight isnt always a bad thing. You can have all the HP in a motor you want but you have to get it to the ground!! If you buy this machine, pick it if its not already picked.

He also has a 97 ZRT 800 trip, no issues with that sinced purchesed, it has been very reliable for him everytime we go out.

sledcrusher said:
nskhellfire said:
wat piston and crank
I've been told that forged pistons are something that should be used, and to make 100% sure that you allow the engine time to warm up or else the piston will expand faster than the engine and cause a meltdown. The crank is the crankshaft. Some have slight balance issues which when trail riding only is no big deal, but when you beat on them it causes engine failure. If you don't know much about working on snowmobiles, I recommend not investing in a T-Cat.
Pretty sure there is a balance shaft in the crank case to stop balance issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I dont think triples weigh much more if at all more than a equal cc engine. some one used to have a picture of a triple and twin balanced on a scale to crush the weight myth. I think its the rest of the sled thats giving you the extra weight. I have never owned a T cat but been very happy with the other triples I have owned.

gotta love the sound of a triple with pipes too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
treeclmb1 said:
I dont think triples weigh much more if at all more than a equal cc engine. some one used to have a picture of a triple and twin balanced on a scale to crush the weight myth. I think its the rest of the sled thats giving you the extra weight. I have never owned a T cat but been very happy with the other triples I have owned.

gotta love the sound of a triple with pipes too!

20091228113623303_24996.jpg


I wish some people would shut it about triples being "SOOO HEAVY". That's the first thing I hear about them and it's sickening.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
ya hit that speed and boom running on 1 piston ahahah triples are dumb
sleds cant be dumb but you sure are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
madcow said:
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
ya hit that speed and boom running on 1 piston ahahah triples are dumb
[highlight=yellow]sleds cant be dumb but you sure are.[/highlight=yellow]
X2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
ya hit that speed and boom running on 1 piston ahahah triples are dumb
Ya start readin, and BOOM! You get a headache. Wow... I can just see those index fingers punching a key at a time. [beatup]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
ya hit that speed and boom running on 1 piston ahahah triples are dumb
That was just plain old dumb. You are a moron. Go sit on your shorty seat and jerk off to thinking about buying something you wont.

I have heard many good things about the 1000 T-Cats, but I haven't owned one, so I can speak too much for them, other than they are very fast, and put 160+ horsepower, maybe more, I can't quite remember.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top