Snowmobile Fanatics banner

im thinkin about buying a triple

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  madcow 
#1 ·
Think its worth it and how are the triples?

#4 ·
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
Radar and GPS proven to be 128mph STOCK.

Thundercats need a few things to be reliable. Different pistons, trued crank, and some carb adjustments and they're pretty reliable. Will pass anything but a gas station. The only thing you really wont be happy with is the weight. I will have to disagree with Pigboy as well. They stopped making them for emissions and smaller motors to fit in newer sleds with less room. I've seen Yamaha triples go flawlessly for 10,000+ miles.

#7 ·
nskhellfire said:
wat piston and crank
I've been told that forged pistons are something that should be used, and to make 100% sure that you allow the engine time to warm up or else the piston will expand faster than the engine and cause a meltdown. The crank is the crankshaft. Some have slight balance issues which when trail riding only is no big deal, but when you beat on them it causes engine failure. If you don't know much about working on snowmobiles, I recommend not investing in a T-Cat.

#8 ·
great sled great price depending on condition.

take everything sled crusher said and forget it 100% wrong.

a tcat will get similar milage to other sleds.

the issue with the engines are you should put a new water pump seal/bearings in it. if that goes they can shew up the engine. they have a counter balance shaft in them. talk to some t cat guys for more info. blaine on here has lots of good info.

#9 ·
My dad had a couple of them. A 1000 triple will not make anywhere near as good of fuel economy as a new twin.

#11 ·
pigboy said:
I wouldn't bother with a triple. There is a reason why they have for the most part stopped making them. Too heavy, unreliable, underpowered, and so on. Go with a big twin - a far superior sled.
Nice "poker face" pigboy[;)]

#12 ·
My buddy has a 1998 Tcat 900. From our own experience with them, they are a decent sled for groomed trail riding and speed. I wouldnt be buying it if you plan on playing in the powder. His is half decent on gas, could always be better. And i know hes always complaining about the weight. Depending on what your doing with the sled weight isnt always a bad thing. You can have all the HP in a motor you want but you have to get it to the ground!! If you buy this machine, pick it if its not already picked.

He also has a 97 ZRT 800 trip, no issues with that sinced purchesed, it has been very reliable for him everytime we go out.

sledcrusher said:
nskhellfire said:
wat piston and crank
I've been told that forged pistons are something that should be used, and to make 100% sure that you allow the engine time to warm up or else the piston will expand faster than the engine and cause a meltdown. The crank is the crankshaft. Some have slight balance issues which when trail riding only is no big deal, but when you beat on them it causes engine failure. If you don't know much about working on snowmobiles, I recommend not investing in a T-Cat.
Pretty sure there is a balance shaft in the crank case to stop balance issues.

#14 ·
I dont think triples weigh much more if at all more than a equal cc engine. some one used to have a picture of a triple and twin balanced on a scale to crush the weight myth. I think its the rest of the sled thats giving you the extra weight. I have never owned a T cat but been very happy with the other triples I have owned.

gotta love the sound of a triple with pipes too!

#16 ·
treeclmb1 said:
I dont think triples weigh much more if at all more than a equal cc engine. some one used to have a picture of a triple and twin balanced on a scale to crush the weight myth. I think its the rest of the sled thats giving you the extra weight. I have never owned a T cat but been very happy with the other triples I have owned.

gotta love the sound of a triple with pipes too!

I wish some people would shut it about triples being "SOOO HEAVY". That's the first thing I hear about them and it's sickening.

Attachments

#17 ·
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
well the sled was the fastest production sled out of the box... over 125mph stock
ya hit that speed and boom running on 1 piston ahahah triples are dumb
sleds cant be dumb but you sure are.

#18 ·
madcow said:
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
[highlight=yellow]sleds cant be dumb but you sure are.[/highlight=yellow]
X2

#19 ·
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
Ya start readin, and BOOM! You get a headache. Wow... I can just see those index fingers punching a key at a time. [beatup]

#20 ·
xcsp_rider said:
nskhellfire said:
That was just plain old dumb. You are a moron. Go sit on your shorty seat and jerk off to thinking about buying something you wont.

I have heard many good things about the 1000 T-Cats, but I haven't owned one, so I can speak too much for them, other than they are very fast, and put 160+ horsepower, maybe more, I can't quite remember.

#21 ·
had some in the group over the years. stock they were a great sled. in the year they were made they had the latest in suspension and the trails werent always groomed. mpg was in the average of the group.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.