Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this ad with all the non-Minnesotans:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/rvs/2007022519.html

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What's so weird about that? Ski Doo has made the Elite since the late 70s or early 80s.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah doo brought the elite back a few years ago. When i saw them I thought they had twin 440s in them, but a 1500? now thats a proper engine haha. I wish Polaris would do something like this since their RZR and side by sides are so popular. Might be a market out there...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Meeting a sidebyside on the trails on dirtbike is not fun, i've been forced off the trail before. Trails aren't all the wide in some places as it is I don't want them!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yea I'm not saying that I would want to see a side by side snowmobile, like the elite, on the trail. Especially in my area! The trails in central maine are sooo narrow it sucks. One of my neighbors has chevy blazer with tracks on it that he grooms with for the club, I've meet him a couple times when I'd rather not, kind of sketchy, personally I dont know how he makes it through the trails with that thing. But there is something attractive about an all enclosed heated, radio, etc. snowmobile that some people would like, especially up north where the trails aren't terrible.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Doo made the twin track'ed two seaters back in the day, I never knew they still made them

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
craigslist flagged the ad and removed it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dodge and Dave, it was a 2004 Skidoo Elite:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&biw=1329&bih=602&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=2004+ski+doo+elite&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
That's a nifty utility vehicle for the trails!

I was thinking about a trailside repair service.. Carry a bunch of belts, bolts, and fluids, and a sled on the back to tow a sled to a recovery point if you couldn't get it running.

That would be perfect, because you can even bring the sled-rider along in the cab.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I saw one of those about 4 years ago when I went riding up in Canada. A guy who was staying at the same hotel as we were had one. That's the only time I've ever seen one.

This is the one I saw:

2010101514361443_27939.jpg

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had a chance to run against one of the new Elite's with my xlt on the river a couple years ago. The 96 with a 1.5 track did not have much of an advantage over the twin tracker. I was very impressed. In the bumps would be another story, but I couldn't loose the Elite in an all out speed and flat cornering run. The driver of the Elite was my shop foreman from the Doo shop I worked at in college.

As for them being too wide? It isn't an issue in most cases. Two of them can still fit (tightly) on a standard 8' bed trailer. They appear much wider than they really are.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AKnarrowback said:
As for them being too wide? It isn't an issue in most cases. Two of them can still fit (tightly) on a standard 8' bed trailer. They appear much wider than they really are.
True. The ad did say they are 48 inches wide. Most trail sleds run around a 42" center-to-center ski stance, so it's only marginally wider than any other traditional sled. The surround sound audio system made me laugh though

·
Registered
30 Posts
We seen one up in Pittsburg NH getting gas and talked to the guy who owned it. His wife drove it and really enjoyed it. I was also thinking along the lines of, what about when someone gets busted for driving while drunk. If you could get a contract with the law to haul the sleds in and store them. There are alot of options to open up to one of these.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Just did a little cleaning up. To those of you whose posts were blocked, don't take it personal. Just trying to keep things on track per original post.

Continue on.

1,792 Posts
nhrider said:
I saw one of those about 4 years ago when I went riding up in Canada. A guy who was staying at the same hotel as we were had one. That's the only time I've ever seen one.

This is the one I saw:

2010101514361443_27939.jpg
I saw one one ebay last year. I think it was up to $15,000 or so. And that was about a 4yo used one!

Someone help me out - there was a really cool canopy snowmobile back in the '80's or so. Can't remember the name. Looked a whole lot better than that one!

edit - guess I was thinking of the Manta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6xeD0fn-uA

Guess my memory made it look better than what it did. Pretty noisy machine. [xx(]

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah I think i know what your talking about. Wasnt it a honda or something?

20101015231858621_20610.jpg
2010101523185943_20610.jpg

I dont know if that was the exact one i was thinking of either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts