Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if i could put individual air filters on my 91 Indy 500 to get rid of my air box, but not sure if it would cause any performance problems,even if it does not make a difference it sure look`s wicked when the hood is open.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
With everything else stock your going to gain very little if anything. You could possibly loose a few hp, as you will be drawing in warm/hot underhood air, as opposed to the stock airbox. You will also most likely need to rejet, If you dont youll lean it out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i thought about doing that also,,,but i guess i wont....thanks for the advice

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by NickJ
[br]With everything else stock your going to gain very little if anything. You could possibly loose a few hp, as you will be drawing in warm/hot underhood air, as opposed to the stock airbox. You will also most likely need to rejet, If you dont youll lean it out.
Right theory, wrong out come.

Running the pods will make it suck in warm air and that makes it burn rich.
You would have to lean out a size or so on your main jets to correct for this.

Don't do it though.
I know it looks cool and all,
but motor runs better on cold air as it's more dence with oxegen.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ya, I guess I never considered that, thanks. The warm air is less dense, less oxygen. So it can suck more air, but not as dense of air. Good point.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lot`s of great information guys, really helpful glad to see all the intelligent people offering this information at no cost and again thanx allot really appreciate all the info very helpful.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I was thinking with one of my friend to make specials carb intake tubes with polished aluminium tubing and suck cold air like in front of the hood. The only problem I think is the thing will suck too much snow and will probably do some engine damage. We also think about make our own air box (aluminium) and put a diesel truck air-to-air in it with an electric fan to cooled it... Don't know if it will be worth for the price, for the hp gains, probably not!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.