Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is just a background of what I have done the last few days. This sled sat in the barn for two years without being run with a rebuilt motor in it with maybe ten hours on it before I got it. It wasn't running right so my uncle gave it to me to fix up and try to get running. Turns out that there was a rubber hose that had decomposed in the tank and that is why it was not running right. So I changed tanks and it was running. I never physically took the carbs off to clean them - I have just used sea foam to clean it up. I couldn't find the original airbox foam that sits on top of it so I used bedding foam but when I got up to high rpm it had no power - it wouldn't bog, just no power. I took that foam out and replaced it with the original foam that I had later found and it was running great for the last few days. Now today, after about a good 45 minutes ride, it would do the same thing again - no power at higher rpm - it still doesn't hit peak rpm. The right side (when sitting on the sled) plug is fouling at high rpm. The plugs are old and probably not gapped properly, would that cause this considering it was running so good?

http://flic.kr/p/915AWP
http://flic.kr/p/915AnV

·
Registered
814 Posts
After sitting that long you really need to take the carbs apart and clean them up good- probably replace needle valves too. Replace the plug wire caps and put in new spark plugs- even if the old ones look OK. Put fresh gas and oil in and see how she goes. Once you get it running good you should go through the whole machine- inspect clutches, belt, wear rods, hyfax, skid, and all the bearings, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TRIPLEB said:
After sitting that long you really need to take the carbs apart and clean them up good- probably replace needle valves too. Replace the plug wire caps and put in new spark plugs- even if the old ones look OK. Put fresh gas and oil in and see how she goes. Once you get it running good you should go through the whole machine- inspect clutches, belt, wear rods, hyfax, skid, and all the bearings, etc. Good luck!
Well, it was running great! So I got some new br9es' and put them in, was just about ready to go when I looked at the chaincase. It seems that I can move the caliper on the chain case a good half to three quarters of an inch. That doesn't seem write. Could this be contributing to my initial problem at all?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mikey007,

Im new to Polaris, we just picked one up for my girlfriend...it it helps, the caliper on hers sort of moves in the chaincase too ('91 Indy 500). So either both of ours are wrong, or that us just how they are..

As mentioned, take the carbs off and clean them...even if the sled is running good with fresh plugs!!

Burch

One more thing...might want to replace the brake fluid!!

Burch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts