Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my Indy 400 today, started right up but smoked like crazy. I used the choke to start it but quickly turned it off. It won't idle and both plugs are fouled every time. Does it sound like the choke being stuck on? If so, how do I check this.

Also, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the y-pipe is missing on the clutch side. Could that attribute to this as well?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Follow the cables from your choke levers down to the carbs. Take a (I think 12mm) wrench and back out the brass fitting from the carb. Take some emery cloth to clean up the "plunger". Check for freedom of movement after you've done this to both carbs. While you have it out you may want to squirt some WD-40 down the cable. And yes this could cause the problem.

As far as your y-pipe, if I remember correctly, there are studs that come from the cylinder, through the flange, and then you secure the nut to the stud. Are you just missing a nut? If you are missing the stud, you may have to drill it out, tap it, and get a new stud.

While you're working at it, you might as well clean your pilot jets as well (this requires carb disassembly). I seem to be on a real pilot jet crusade lately - people often overlook this simple chore or THINK they've cleaned their carb, but they haven't cleaned the pilot jet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I will definitely take a look at the choke plungers. I wans't sure what I was getting myself into if I was to look at those. I think I might have found the extra bolt today - it looks like the bolt and nut was missing.

As long as I just back off the brass fitting, I won't change the choke settings, correct?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Correct. There is another nut above the brass fitting which is your jam nut to adjust the settings. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here to talk you through taking the carbs off completely and going through them, putting on new fuel lines, cleaning jets, etc if you want to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt331 said:
Correct. There is another nut above the brass fitting which is your jam nut to adjust the settings. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here to talk you through taking the carbs off completely and going through them, putting on new fuel lines, cleaning jets, etc if you want to.
I took the choke plungers out and they were both (one more than the other) pretty iced up and a little dirty. So I cleaned them with some carb cleaner and sprayed some into the carb and it is running like a top again! Thanks, guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts