Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bring my 91 indy 400 back to life.
What is was thinking of doing is puting a Aaen pipe on it, will i have to constantly have to rejet the carbs to make it work?
I have a 90 indy 500 clutch, i was told years ago it would be better on my sled, never tried it.
I have gotten a set of fox shocks front and rear off e-bay.
I know the indy 600 triples used 38mm carbs, can i use them or will i flood the engine?
Does anyone know a good clutch setup or kit for the 400? lots of lake and trail riding.
The last thing, does anyone know a good snow dance?

·
Registered
252 Posts
if i was u i would just keep the 34mm on it and instead of an aenn pipe just use two of the xlt triple pipes

·
Registered
252 Posts
oh and for the clutch kit use 10 for weights and a red primary and a yellow secondary this should make it ingage at 4200Rpm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of tring lighter and heavyer weights in the primary, i just don't know what it will do. I have 200 dollars to spend on diffent clutch parts and was not sure what top buy.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Not sure what type of clutching you need for the sled but if my memory serves me correctly, I think you need to spin the motor at very high revs at 9k with Aaen pipe?!! Dont quote me - I just remember a buddy of mine had the same '88 Indy 400, similiar like yours. To verify that, call Aaen to be sure (and they will help you with the clutching setup too) WL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
every place i talk to say don't use the xlt pipes, they will not work and may cause more harm then good, and you can't spin a 400 at 9000 they will not last.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Heavy weights will slow the rpm down lighter will increase. For $200 grab a new belt clean the clutches make sure carbs get WOT get some BPR8ES plugs and ride.

·
Registered
815 Posts
im eaigere to see what you r seld will do with the pipes i have an 91 indy 400 and is wondering the same thing pipe or can? by the way where did you get the pipes from.

·
Registered
815 Posts
man i love this forrum so many guys with nice indys in toronto area good to hear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aaenperformance.com sells the pipe for 399.99 with a 12Lb. loss and an Eight HP gain.

·
Registered
815 Posts
yea we know

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroke_lives
[br]im eaigere to see what you r seld will do with the pipes i have an 91 indy 400 and is wondering the same thing pipe or can? by the way where did you get the pipes from.
Stay in school.[;)]

·
Registered
815 Posts
what cause i miss spelled some ****?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I have no idea what's going on inside my secondary, but my primary clutch has 10 M Blue weights, and a blue spring.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i got a 90 indy 500

i put a aaen pipe in it and hot seat performance clutch kit in it. very happy with the clutch kit and pipe, sounds good, clutch kicks in at 5000 im revving out a 9200 rpm and pulls like a raped ape.
i reccomned contacting hot seat as i am very plaesed what they sold me, they may be able to hook you up, dont go with twin pipes
the single tuned pipe is best for all around use, unless you jsut want a drag sled stick with the single.
[attachment=55936]
[attachment=55937]
[attachment=55938]

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
man that is exactly what i want to do with my indy 400

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by sleddyeddy
[br]i got a 90 indy 500

i put a aaen pipe in it and hot seat performance clutch kit in it. very happy with the clutch kit and pipe, sounds good, clutch kicks in at 5000 im revving out a 9200 rpm and pulls like a raped ape.
i reccomned contacting hot seat as i am very plaesed what they sold me, they may be able to hook you up, dont go with twin pipes
the single tuned pipe is best for all around use, unless you jsut
[attachment=55938]
neb, did you see what sleddyeddy stated? I was right, if you use Aaen pipes, you will have to spin higher revs around 9k for the Indy 400. You will prolly have to do some clutch/jetting work. WL.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
very high rpms. the plugs are burning very nice almound brown i had to jet it no problems yet and its been ran hard only for about 100 miles.
im very pleased with he get up and go of it though, just have a little bottom end bog im workin out now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts