Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?] Does anyone know how to get a little bit more out of a 1989 trail 488. I was told to put a few studs in it and then put a red spring, a 40/36 helix,a size larger wieghts and a black secondary spring. Anything else to do to get a little more out of it or does anyone know of a good or better setup than that? Ps: I'm already jetting down.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No offence but the parts you have listed plus labour if needed will run you two or three hundred bucks. Why dont you trade up to a higher horsepower sled. An older 650 can usually be purchased for very little more than an older trail. just a thought.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree don't even try to modify a trail. They are designed for family use. Your better off getting a liquid cooled sled. With the sale of your sled it will be cheaper than the upgrades. Or just control your need for speed and ride your sled the way it is.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i think that i might switch to cat this summer anyway there starting to look better everyday.well there mid 90's sleds anyways.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This is not a bash all you Artic Guys this is from experience. Indyman, Cats are harder to work on and parts are more expensive. Do you really want an older machine with these characteristics. JMO

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the problem i have with polaris is that they have only made in the past trail machines and not performance ones. A cat out of the box is a performance machines. Don't get me wrong i'll still have my polaris because its bulletproof but i think for the mid 90's arctic cat is the sled to get. I( drove a 95 700 zr and man the power that thing has. i loved it. that's particualary the machine i want.

·
Registered
608 Posts
To say that a Storm or an Ultra is a trail sled is way out of line. If your used to a Trail than any Arctic Cat will seem powerful. Trust me there are Polaris's that will peel your eyealls back!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
comparing a 700 ZR to a '89 Indy Trail isn't right man. These are WAY different sleds. Compare a 700 ZR to an Ultra or a Storm. Or if you want to go a bit newer, a 1998 XC 600 or 1998 XC 700.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HA i havent ever seen any polaris besides a xcr 800 that would run even close to this zr 700.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just a thought if you are going to buy something come summer.. instead of buying something older and dumping money into it to make it fast.. why not just spend a little more and buy something that's a little newer and already fast..? cat, polaris, yammy, etc. no bias here..

I only say this from direct experience.. I have an '89 650.. It's like a hole I just throw money into all the time.. but no matter what I put into it it's still an '89 650 and worth $1800(CDN) on a good day.. you don't even want to know what I have into it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
The old v. new sled comparision is amazing. I bought a half way decent 84 440 a couple years ago. I have fun with it. It will hit 65 mph on a good day. I was amazed last weekend when my brother in law let me take his 99 XC 600. I hit the throttle and could have been thrown off the back if i wasn't holding on tight. I can only imagine what the bigger XC's are like. That was my first experience on a newer sled. I gotta get something newer!!
I am working on putting a 500 EFI engine in an 89 Indy 400. Anyone know what kind of performance that will give me?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My "trail" Ultra with a few goodies achieved 86 radared mile per hour on the grass in 450 ft at the local grass drags a while ago. Second fastest of the day. Me thinks you might want to ride a few more sleds before you make your final decision

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Guys,

In my opinion, the sleds of the late 80's and early 90's are junk compared to the late 90's stuff. I would say that around '94, Polaris started raising the bar back up towards the great level of the "modern" sleds.

For a price difference of around $1000-$1500, I would certainly save up and get a '98 or newer sled; instead of an early 90's machine. My suggestion is to get a '98 or '99 XC 600 or 700. You should be able to get a '98 XC 6 or 7 for around $2500. These machines are the same, motorwise and suspensionwise as the 2000's.

The first thing you do is to put 144 studs in it, a Fox PPS shock on the rear and a Fox IFP shock on the front torque arm. a 2" handlebar riser works nice as well. Get her tuned up, and she will rock your world. These 2 particular XC's are nearly as fast as any new twin that Polaris makes.

Imagine, a sled that handles like it is on rails, rides decent, and will run with an XC 800 until 70 mph (then it isn't off by too much); for around $2500- $3000. These machines are definetly the way to go!!!

So, hold off on your early 90's machine, work some OT and get yourself an XC twin!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
In my opinion its not worth dumping money into an old sled. If you are a big guy like me and you ride trails it doesn't matter how big your engine is unless you have a high travel susension to match. Otherwise you have to slow down for the bumps anyways.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Andrew there actually is quite a few things that can make that sled pull pretty hard. I had a 87 Trail 488 that I cleaned up the ports, had a CDI box from a 500 Liquid, a single pipe from Aaen Performance and aluminum skis. That thing would pull right along with a 650 up to about 80 mph. It was a blast to ride because it had good power and was nice and light. The only draw back was the fan. When it got warm temps outside it was a little doggy. IMO that sled can be made into a little rocket. Very fun Riley

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well, i have a "early" ninetys sled, a 93. and i am completely happy with the performance it has, sure its a triple, and considered "heavy" but compare the dry weights to these new sleds. sure it doesnt have the latest greatest suspension, or this and that, but for a 12 pack of beer i got my hands on a complete xtra 1o susp. and to tell you the truth, this little 580 can hang with the cat 600's everyday of the week. and the way i see it, the only advantage they have over me is bigger lugs on the track. and lastly, have you ever heard the saying"one mans JUNK is another mans TREASURE"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts