Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I've got a 1998 Indy 500. It is new to me, and so far having a blast up here in MN learning to ride again. Two things I'm hoping someone can help me out with-

1. I broke the choke control lever right next to the ignition switch. I think I kicked it while I was "testing" the ability of the sled to drive off a small retaining wall. Hehe, all is ok, but I think my boot broke it. What I'm wondeing is if there is a more durable choke setup I should look at. That little plastic switch seems cheap. It looks like it has been replaced once before, this choke cable is a one piece setup, does not look like I can open it up. so I would replace it all the way to the carbs. Any ideas?

2. Handling - So my last sled was a 1973 Chaparral Firebird 340 in about 1985. This Indy handles great from what I can tell. But I do feel like it kind of squats onto the front skis, almost too much. Is there some tweaking I can do to affect this? I see some adjustments on that strap on the rear suspension (Xtra-10), but not sure if I should play with that or not. Right now both straps are pretty much extended all the way.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello, welcome back to sledding! I think you're best off just replacing the choke cable with a new polaris unit. Be careful on the install, make sure the plungers are adjusted correctly. They make aluminum choke levers, but the plastic equivilent is the strongest piece in the choke system, so the aluminum is just pure cosmetics.

As far as your handling goes, the front straps should be tight with 2x4's under the skiis, no weight on the sled. If the sled feels "mushy", try adjusting the rear rear spring blocks up a notch or two, and for even more, adjust the front-rear coil tension. It'll take some screwing around to get it the way you want it!

·
Registered
807 Posts
1. Buy a $5 choke re[pair kit, no need to replace cables.

2. tighten up front spring adjustment.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
just run an OEM choke cable, we have never broke one on all 9 of our sleds, the only time we have ever had an issue is once the pin came out that connects the lever to the cables, just keep your feet on the floor boards and you'll be fine

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thinksno said:
I'm assuming after kicking the choke lever, either the plastic piece on the inside broke, or if it did just break the lever, it might have extended the cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TrailRebel said:
Thinksno said:
I'm assuming after kicking the choke lever, either the plastic piece on the inside broke, or if it did just break the lever, it might have extended the cable.
It just broke the switch off the outside. I can still choke it using a needle-nose pliers, but it is a pain. I took it apart and it looks like the whole unit has been replaced with a sealed non-oem assembly, so from the looks of it I can't repair it. I just ordered the whole OEM assembly. I hope it comes silver plated or something for the price!

Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i hope you didnt order from the dealer, they bend you over for the tiniest little bolt you could get at a hardware store for a nickle

get one through dennis kirk or something, much more reasonable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodgetruck2 said:
i hope you didnt order from the dealer, they bend you over for the tiniest little bolt you could get at a hardware store for a nickle

DK didn't have a part. Decided to do the local dealer because they can have it by Friday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
dmbfreek said:
dodgetruck2 said:

DK didn't have a part. Decided to do the local dealer because they can have it by Friday.
I always order those type of parts through the dealer. The specs are low tolerance, and there are only so many ways around copywright patents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts