Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Goodwin Performance clutch kit in the wifes 98 Indy 500 and what a differance. I usually install my own spring and helix combo but there was a new kit on ebay last year that I picked up for only $65.00. Thats a new primary spring, weights, secondary spring, helix and shims. The thing that got me was the weights and springs that came with the kit were a hell of alot heavier and stiffer than I thought a little piston port 500 would pull, but let me tell you, it works great. The weights went from 10m5 (49.5 grams) to 10al (53 grams)! The primary spring went from stock gold (100-280 lbs.) to Goodwin black (180-330 lbs.) The secondary went from stock gold (24-49 lbs.) to Goodwin black (48-75 lbs.) The helix looks like maybe a 40-36 or 42-36, I cant tell. But man this sucker pulls real good and from a dead stop, its right there. Kicks in about 4800-5000 rpms. Best $65.00 I spent in a long time. Hope this helps any Indy 500 riders out there. Later.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Those higher tensions will reduce the efficiency i would think... Did the kit hurt your top speed at all? The higher forces make more belt squeeze...

-Dean

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent had it out on the lake yet. Maybe this weekend I will try it out at a local lake where the guys have been playing for the past 2 weekends. I know that in a short run it pulls harder. I was skeptical about the high spring tensions myself, but with the additional weight in the primary it must overcome the high tensions and with the steeper helix angle it sure upshifts faster and harder. I will let you know how top end speed is hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Goodwin has a reputation as one of the best for a reason.

As far as efficecy goes, the heavier weights will grab the belt tighter, but you need to add more spring to get the RPM up.

Same on the 2ndary. Allot of side pressure is needed to keep the buttons on the ramps of a steeper helix. The whol kit goes in the right direction, not just the springs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I had the sucker out and from a dead stop to 70 mph plus the thing pulls hard. But its overrevving. Its spinning 8200 rpms. I going to try going down one hole in the secondary to make it upshift faster to get the r's down. Top end seems about the same, but with it revving that high I dont want to push it just yet. I also going to check the primary to see if it is shifting out all the way. Fill you in later.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Good. I'll be interested in what you find, as I plan on purchasing a few aftermarket clutch components for my sled as soon as my engine break-in has been completed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts