Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi new to snowmobiling my brother owed me some money so i got his old sled (didn't know i wanted one) he got a new one,he said the needles and seats were probaly leaking through. having trouble getting it to idle, will start first thing in the morning will run kinda rough then kill, try to start and you have to do a lot of pulling, if you squirt a little gas in both carbs she fires right up. this dosen't seem like a flooding problem or is it? the sled is a 1996 indy 500 with 1992 indy 500 motor in it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds to me like it is running lean, not rich. Check the crankcase seals (seals around the crankshaft) and the base gaskets for air leaks by spraying them with WD-40. If the idle clears up temporarily, it is sucking air there and the engine case needs to be split to remove the seal. If the pilot jets in the carbs were gummed up, it would also cause a similar problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks chadd
iam on my to garage will check it out, what is the pilot jets settings 1 out? how do you adjust the choke? thanks bud

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know off hand, I think 2.5 turns out. You should consider getting a Clymers manual. It will list the various specs of the sleds of different years and give you information on setting things. It will not cover your 1996 (it ends at 1995), but it will at least give you ballpark figures. Most specs were shared between 1995 and 1996. If you don't want to buy one, go to your local library, I know mine has one. The Polaris manual is expensive (~90 bucks) but lists all of the info for that chassis and engine. Were the carbs from 1996 or 1992? The jets got richer almost every year until about 1997 or 1998. Also, if it has the 1996 Y-Pipe, it might need richer jets than the 1992 specs, because it was supposed to increase flow and increase horsepower (~3 to 4 horsepower). Here is the stock 1996 Pipe and engine:

[attachment=41220]
[attachment=41219]
[attachment=41218]

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
First thing I'd do is clean the carbs and then try it. If it does the same, then chase after seal and gasket leaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This does not answer any of your questions but, I find it rather humorous that your brother owed you money and gave you a sled instead. Good deal. Except that some how he ended up with the new sled. Didn't that cost money? Hmmm.....

Hope you get it up and running!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sounds more to me like a fuel supply problem. like it runs itself outta gas. then you have to pull and pull cause its not drawing any. could be a fuel pump or a fuel filter. try removing the fuel filter and blowng thru it. also there is no pilot jet adjustment. thats youre air screw adjustment. pilot jet is a jet i the carb just like a main jet. also before doing to much dismantling. check your plugs try a new set. could just be fouled up plugs. just check simple things before you start really tearing things down

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi chadd its got the 96 y pipe. i pulled the carbs off and cleaned them again, and noticed that the jets are 340 what i have been reading is 280 thought that could be it will put it back together in the morning will let you know thanks bud

·
Registered
440 Posts
280 is stock for a 92 indy 500 340 is pretty rich, belive stock for the pilot jets is 40, i will have a look i have the shop manuel for the 1990-1995 indys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok new update
i think Chadd was right on!!!! it's got to be running lean, looked at the mounts between the block and the carb, their were some crackes in them so i bet its sucking air. put the 280 main jet back in, going to get the manifold blocks tomorrow ? if thats what there called. also the throttle cable was to short so got a new throttle cable unite and i know it will worke better, i'am working midnights so i'll keep you updated thanks bud

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here are the 1996 Indy 500 Jetting specs:
Main Jet: 340
Cut Away: 2.5 CH
Jet Needle: 6F9-3
Pilot screw:40
Air Screw: 1 turn
Needle Jet: 247

Just to let you know, it will probably run rich with stock jetting, as it was VERY conservative on this sled. It's better to start rich than start lean though. I believe my sled has the mains dropped by at least 1 size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok got it to run better,vents on the carb were blocked off. now when adjusting the idling the lowest it seems to go is about 2200 rpm's turn the idle screw a hair more then you got to feather the gas to keep it running. then turn the screw in to increase the idle but you can't get it to idle at 1700-1800 any ideas thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i think so i went buy clymers. i don't have no vacuum leaks around the manifold i sprayed with starting fluid.it just wants to idle way high or not at all?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts