Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago I bought a 1997 Indy 500 carb from a friend who had it since new. Last year it started to have antifreeze problems. The sled just sat with a puddle under it. He bought a new water pump and thew it in. That fixed the leaking while sitting problem. He then bought a new antifreeze cab and said it was fixed. Well its not. When it ideals there is no leak. But when I take it out for a spin and open it up it will loose fluids. It leave a mist of antifreeze under and around the motor. I'm pulling it in the heated garage now. Any ideas whats wrong or where I should start looking? Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
if its losing colant when running might be the head gasket. Ive had to change 3 so far the first two i didnt realize that the last owner had milled the head down alittle more than .005" say .125"
also check all hose connections i just went through all this with my indy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks coreman for your help. I'll check those hose connections like you say. Was changing the head gasket a big deal?

·
Registered
700 Posts
rotate your engine so that the pistons are both kinda half way up the cylnder and only the exhaust port is open. Its not that important to do but then when you pull the head off and the coolant runs into the clyinder, its runs into the exhaust pipe not your crankcase. The when you fire it obviously it will boil out. Then its easy. Take it off, put it on making shure the gasket is on right. Torque all bolts 22-25 ft-lbs in the specified patern. Run the sled with the Pressure cap off and ad coolant as it takes it in. Then make sure your coolant bottle is filled up and run it with the cap on in the vent position for a while to let any other air get out and tighten it down before you shut the sled off. That way as it cools it will draw coolant from the bottle not air.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
As mentioned above check all your fittings and lines for splits.

There is a one way check valve that runs from the motor to the coolant bottle. it is #29 on the attached picture. If this valve
fails, it allows coolant to run back into the bottle and overflow it.

Because of the tiny hole in the coolant bottle cap, it will spray coolant eveywhere as you described.

I had this problem on my '93 Xlt and the $5 valve took care of the problem.

[attachment=57587]

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
maybe put it on a jack stand and run it for awhile and crack the throttle a few times like you would run it while riding and see if you can find out where its misting from. should be able to pinpoint the general location by this. just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for all the info and the diagram. I should tell you now that I would not be doing the work on the gasket, it would be a friend. I'm not that mechanical, ha ha. But I can get the rear up and check that way. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts