Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find any topics on this. I also checked my manual and other stickers on my sled and couldn't find any info. I was wondering if anyone has any info on what the top rpms would be for an '03 Indy 500. Also rpm info on a '97 Indy 500 SKS would be helpful.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am pretty sure that most years of Indy 500s were 7800rpm +- 200 rpm. It seems to me that 1997 might have been 7900, but I am not positive about this.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I do know the older Indy 500 were 72hp at 7.8k but the newer 500s, hp was a bit more (something like 80hp) I'd take the guess that the revs are still the same. WL.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by white lightning
[br]I do know the older Indy 500 were 72hp at 7.8k but the newer 500s, hp was a bit more (something like 80hp) I'd take the guess that the revs are still the same. WL.
Yeah, I've heard that too. Supposedly they changed the Y-pipe and made a few other detail changes that increased the horsepower by 3 or 4. Not sure if it is true or not. I do notice that my 1996 seems to have a stronger midrange than my dad's 1991, but overall, they have about the same top end power.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.. for some reason I was thinking I should be running something like 8000-8500 top rpms for the '03.. guess I don't feel so bad now, running something like 7500 on a good day with a tail wind and with my lucky underwear.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Make sure your secondary is set properly for belt tension Scumpman. A loose belt will make your engine lose a few rev's. Good luck with it and hope to see you soon. Happy Holidays bro.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey myvertxcape.. I'm waiting on a helix for the AC secondary I bought.. wanted a roller type secondary and AC roller secondary on ebay was cheapest. I just wanted to know what revs I should be tuning the clutches to after I put on the AC one. Thanks for the info tho, and Happy Holidays to you too.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Target rpm's won't change, 7800+/- a couple hundred. Should be able to shift quicker with that Cat secondary. Good luck with it. Prices for the TSS-98 rollers are going down also, once setup they do very well. I am looking at trying to get the newer one, TSS-04 sometime this winter just for kicks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by chadd
[br]
Originally posted by white lightning
[br]I do know the older Indy 500 were 72hp at 7.8k but the newer 500s, hp was a bit more (something like 80hp) I'd take the guess that the revs are still the same. WL.
Yeah, I've heard that too. Supposedly they changed the Y-pipe and made a few other detail changes that increased the horsepower by 3 or 4. Not sure if it is true or not. I do notice that my 1996 seems to have a stronger midrange than my dad's 1991, but overall, they have about the same top end power.
Chadd, youre right - the Y pipe was changed in the newer 500. In the '96 model year, I believe the hp was about correct per your statement. I also believe the newer 500 EDGE was bumped up to close to 80hp due to higher compression heads, hotter CDI and piping changes. Dont quote me, I just dont remember all of the details that was changed to boost 80 horse. Anyone? WL.

·
Registered
700 Posts
newer 500s just have a thinner head gasket i think. If your rpms are 7800-8000 your good

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thanks for all the info guys.. guess I know not to go over 8000 for sure.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good Call, white lightning, the head did in fact change part numbers in 2001, the first year for the Edge chassis. The part numbers for the cylinders, the Y-Pipe, and the CDI box changed as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts