Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 1990 Indy classic back in the fall from a small engine guy here in town, paid 500 cdn and put a few more $$ into it for misc parts. Ran fine when I got it and also ran great for the last 100-150 miles or so but now it's getting cold -20 ish Celsius and its running like crap, idles right around 1000 and is boggy, let it warm up for 20 mins and same thing, what could this be? Has new plugs that seem to be burning good. I haven't been through the carbs since I bought it but am planning on that today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
clean carbs...... sounds like it sucked crap from the tank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran fine when it was warmer this weekend, and runs fine after hauling it out of my buddy's heated shop. Today couldn't get it to go over 5000 rpm and it was drinking gas like a pig, went from half a tank to under 1/4 in a trip that takes an 1/8 or less of a tank

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
you have some issues if it runs great at warm temps and bad at cold temps. Normally its the opposite. carb settings??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have some issues if it runs great at warm temps and bad at cold temps. Normally its the opposite. carb settings??
Carbs had some gunk in them so I cleaned them up, I'm thinking maybe water in the tank

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just noticed that some of the holes on my skid are ovaling so I'll have to figure out a solution for that

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Just noticed that some of the holes on my skid are ovaling so I'll have to figure out a solution for that

You can either replace the rails or the whole skid, or take the rails to someone who can aluminum weld and have the holes filled and grinded flat, then redrill. Be sure to mark where the hole centers should be though where the marks won't get ground off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can either replace the rails or the whole skid, or take the rails to someone who can aluminum weld and have the holes filled and grinded flat, then redrill. Be sure to mark where the hole centers should be though where the marks won't get ground off.
This is the second skid I've put in it, other one did the same thing. What causes it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ran fine when it was warmer this weekend, and runs fine after hauling it out of my buddy's heated shop. Today couldn't get it to go over 5000 rpm and it was drinking gas like a pig, went from half a tank to under 1/4 in a trip that takes an 1/8 or less of a tank

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
This is the second skid I've put in it, other one did the same thing. What causes it?

I'm not sure, the only thing I can think of is high mileage and or loose bolts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the skid taken care of, and had to replace the rear shock. Cleaned the carbs and installed them and it runs way better, still need to get a hand tuning them but there is a significant difference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts