Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the problem is with my wifes 1997 indy 500, 4500miles, at times it will idle high approx. 4000rpm, throttle cables not stuck, if I choke it the comes down, but if i ride it again, the idle sticks at 4000 again, also looks like its running lean, plugs are white, I disassembled the carbs and cleaned them and then blew the passages out w/compressed air, check oil system, check fuel system and changed oil and fuel filters, also sprayed the crankcase seals at the crankshaft looking for air leaks, I can't find anything wrong with it, also made sure that the carb slides aren't sticking, this seemed to start after riding in low snow conditions and the temp light came on. this sled doesn't get ridden much any more, but I added oil to the fuel tank just in case it wasn't getting enough oil to be safe, then it seemed to run ok, next tank, no oil in fuel tank, idled high again, oil level in resevoir is going down,

any insight would be helpful, thanks

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Check for cracks in your carb boots. Its either sucking air somewhere or your carbs are wacked. You checked the crank seal and carbs, so check the carb boots and rubber flanges to airbox. Then if all checks good, find the stock carbs settings and make sure everything is to spec. One of my airscrews was over a 1/2 turn off the other, I noticed it when cleaning/installing ufos last week. I know they were on when I cleaned them last spring. So maybe the vibration can slowly turn them? Worth checking out.

It sounds like airscrews to me, my buddies xc 700 did the same thing. Sure enough, he installed a boost bottle and never touched the screws, lean idle=hanging (high idle)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I checked the boots and air screws and other carb settings all are perfect, also checked gaskets between boots and motor

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Did it run fine prior to this since youve owned it? You cleaned the carbs good and dont seem to have any intake or gasket leaks, so I dont know. Not unless the idle screws are off, other than that not sure. Prob could figure it out, but im busy doing this and homework. Hopefully someone will chime in and solve your problem. Sorry I couldnt help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise. Im an automobile technician by trade, and very familar w/2stokes, this sled has been perfect since new untill the 1 time the temp light came on, but it didn't overheat, shut it down right away and let it cool, hopefully I'll figure it out before it melts down

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
My '92 Indy 440 has the same problem. I have checked everything previously mentioned here. The weird thing is, it acts like it is lean, idling high, but then when it starts to get warm +40F or higher, it is the first machine to start running really rich.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finally got it to act up again, finally tracked air leak to crankshaft seal on PTO side, What do I have to do to replace seal? Just pull clutch and remove old seal and install new one, or does the crankcase need to be seperated to replace the seal??

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
^^^^^^^Yeah if you want to do it the hack way and take a big chance.
Tear it apart, do both seals and you might want to re-ring also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.