Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mod my indy 500 sks so that i can run in the mountains, so far i have an idea what i want to do but not sure how to go from here. First i want to get a rmk 700 twin not sure where to go i want to keep efi so im going to see if a dealership can program my cpu for it if not il put carbs on. I think that should be pretty straightforward as long as a get a engine out of another gen 2. Next i want to upgrade my suspension not sure really what i can do to the front but i want to go to go to a better skid i am not sure how long i can go i want atleast 144 longer if i can but i don't know what suspension to use im thinking either an edge skid or m10 if i can find a decent used one around my area.

And thought or oppinions other than buy a newer sled?
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You are never going to get your efi two work on a 700. Are you sure that you do not have an evolved chassis? As far as I know there was no fuel injected gen 2's.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i am sure its a gen 2 they made the 1992 indy 500 efi sks and i didnt think it would work but i thought it would be sweet to have efi. And i don't want to buy a newer one because they are a good light machine and i like to mod i can probably do everything i want for around 3 grand so it will be around the same as a newer mountain machine plus its alot more fun to build you own machine

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yours isn't a gen 2. Gen 2 started in 99.

And if you got 3 grand. Sell your sled for about 500 bucks and now your at 3500. You can buy a 03 to 04 rmk or switchback 700. This will outperform your 500 mod in the deep stuff all day of the week.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MuscleD said:
Yours isn't a gen 2. Gen 2 started in 99.

And if you got 3 grand. Sell your sled for about 500 bucks and now your at 3500. You can buy a 03 to 04 rmk or switchback 700. This will outperform your 500 mod in the deep stuff all day of the week.
I am positive it is a gen 2 and currently i don't have all that money this would be a on going project untill next winter

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
92 Indy anything is a WEDGE chassis.
If yours is in a Gen 2 chassis, then some one before you built that or more than likely cobbed it together.
Gen 2 did not come out from Polaris until 1999, so you are about 7 years off.
Also, there are zero years of Polaris building a Gen 2 SKS500.

Now for your project.
Your SKS500 EFI unit will most likely not be enough to fuel a 700 twin motor.
You need to change out your wiring harness with the motor and leave the motor carbed,
and then continue on with your project from there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay if it is a wedge chassis then will a 700 out of an mid to late 90's rmk fit without any major modifications? i dont mind doing them but it is nice to know a head of time. and will i have to do anything with my chain case or gearing? I will probably be getting the engine in the next little while. And what is the best skid for me to look for xtra-10 m-10 or edge skid and what length?

·
Registered
591 Posts
the only year there was a 700 twwin in an edge was a 98 xc700, super rare, not many made. The motor mounts will be different, and your coolers will not be enough. you are way better off selling your sled, and finding something newer instead of cobbling an old pos together.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
gto0209 said:
the only year there was a 700 twwin in an [highlight=yellow]edge[/highlight=yellow] was a 98 xc700, super rare, not many made.
**Wedge. I'm pretty sure that was a typo, so you're off the hook for that one. But as for the rest of the sentence, it's false. A 98 xc 700 is not rare. Also, the first 700 twin was in '97 SKS & RMK 700's. There was also a late model '97 XC 700.

Nate11,
As I told you previously in the other thread, you're best bet is to put a newer (2000+) twin in the chassis and buy the ATACC system.
It could be possible to modify the EFI system for a Liberty twin, as what Ugly_Old_Poo_Kid is currently planning, but he has the abilities and resources to do so since he has already added EFI to an Indy Storm motor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay so i will start to look for a 700 engine and then go from there, and go to carbed it will be my best bet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts