Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was looking at getting a 1989 polaris indy 500. I was just wondering what the deepest lug i could put on this sled would be? i know Royal Distributing in barrie has a 121" x 15" x 2" challenger track would this fit on it? would i have to loosen off my limiter straps off a bit to get more clearance?

Thanks any help would be appreciated Adam

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I know a guy I ride with and he has on a his I500 a 1.5" track.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Your going to need to do more than just loosen the limiter straps to fit a 2" under that. Your probably going to have to move the skid/re-drill mounting holes and maybe go with smaller cog drives to clear...someone else can confirm this though. I know 1.25" will fit with no problems and I think a 1.5" will rub. I think I read some where that someone shaved the fins off the front cooler to get the clearance between the cog and the front cooler...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
1.25" is max lug height for mid 90s, I'm not sure if it would fit in an '89.
I would not recommend shaving the fins off the front cooler.
you can't move the mounting holes of the skid rearwards-- not only would the track not fit, but it wouldn't create any more clearance-- the driveshaft is in a fixed positioned.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
1.25" is max lug height for mid 90s, I'm not sure if it would fit in an '89.
I would not recommend shaving the fins off the front cooler.
you can't move the mounting holes of the skid rearwards-- not only would the track not fit, but it wouldn't create any more clearance-- the driveshaft is in a fixed positioned.
thats why you get smaller cogs on the driveshaft. you have to drill the front mounting hole lower and buy a drop bracket for the reer so your rails dont stab through your track. this is my summer project

·
Registered
702 Posts
I forgot... IMO removing material from the front cooler is not a good idea, as stated. [Disappointed]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts