Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Clutch kit. That pretty much all you will find in terms of performance parts for that sled.
If it has steel skis on it I would upgrade to plastic skis, they make a big difference.
Thats pretty much it, I dont know of anyone who ever made a performance pipe for it.
If you need more performance than what a clutch kit and plastic skis can get you, you'd be smarter to save up for a newer, faster sled.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ya people tell me all the time when i say i wanna mod my xlt to just buy a bigger sled, but i dont have the money, my dad however has a 1990 indy 500 and he has cluyched it with a green/yellow primary spring, and a blood red secondary spring in the 3rd tower on a 2 stage helix, he also geared it up to 21/39, i have the same setup in my xlt just i dont have the 2 stage helix and i raced my buddie's 2006 F6 last yr, and we were dead even all the way up to 90mph, the only diff was my skis were about a foot in the air and he wasnt, if u look in my signature u can see some pics that i have taken from a standstill to a full catwalk, however i have a 1.5'' lug track which made a big difference with the clutching, i dont know but royaldistributing might have an aaen pipe or an mbrp can or something to that effect, www.royaldistributing.com

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
thats a good bullet proof sled ,get some graphite hyfax if they need replacement (only ones i will ever use)

·
Registered
440 Posts
aaen i belive makes tuned pipe, i know they did for my 1990 indy 500, and i have to say hot seat perfornmance makes a killer clutch kit for the old indy 500's, got one in mine, incredibuile, im about 1 sled length behind the 2007 f5 with my 1990 indy 500.

pipe and clutch kit are your best bets

·
Registered
581 Posts
also...make sure ur carbs are tuned right, we are having nightmares, every time i try to ride with my dad, there is something else wrong with it, now its carbs, we found stuck floats in a bowl, and one cylinder is still not fireing and wont hold idle, if u ride it on one cylinder till ur midrange then you have both cylinders and tons of power all the way to the high end, we suspect fuel cuz it will start and fire easier with the choke, but without u can only get it to barely fire, so we are gonna strip the carb or carbs down tomorrow before our ride, check what jets you are running with and if u want a little better snappy throttle response you can try and change them, just make sure u dont run lean

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by checkered_indy_400
[br]ya people tell me all the time when i say i wanna mod my xlt to just buy a bigger sled
At least with an XLT you have some performance potential. Slap a set of triple pipes and a better track on that thing and it will run with ANY 600 on the lake and down the straights.
The Indy 500 is a different story. its a good, solid, reliable, fuel efficent sled, but you wont win very many races with it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
not reading the previous posts but I'd say clutch and gear the mother and RIP THE MOTHER OUT OF THE 'something' yeah... looks good like this.. clutch, gear, and pray.. who you run against

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
EPI clutch kit and one or more off the top gear// do it and kik som AA.S.....

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
First thing I'd do is clean those carbs and make sure your jetting is perfect for 1/4 to WOT. Second get a clutch kit and put some studs on the track to keep grip. Aaen does make a pipe for it, but it's not going to make as big a change to the sled's performace as the clutch kit. However, if you do decide to get a pipe, get the pipe first and then get a clutch kit and rejet for the pipe. Be sure to tell the clutch kit manuf that you have a pipe. You will probably have to richen the mix for a pipe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
Originally posted by checkered_indy_400
[br]ya people tell me all the time when i say i wanna mod my xlt to just buy a bigger sled
At least with an XLT you have some performance potential. Slap a set of triple pipes and a better track on that thing and it will run with ANY 600 on the lake and down the straights.
The Indy 500 is a different story. its a good, solid, reliable, fuel efficent sled, but you wont win very many races with it.
i would rather do a can than pipes, and if i was gonna do pipes i would just put an ultra motor in and have the stock triples with that, and for the track, i already have a 1.5'' how much bigger do i need to go when i stand it on the back end as it is??(pics in my signature) i ran side by side with my neighbors vmax sx? 600, and he has a can and clutched and geared it up, ive only changed clutch springs and my track, i also ran beside an f6 till 90mph, beat a 2000mxz 600 and a 98 zr 600

but....this topic is not about my xlt.....as i was saying before about my dads indy 500, he put a green/yellow primary, and a blood red secondary in the 3rd tower on a 2 stage helix, he also geared it up to 21/39, now we got the carbs cleaned up(plugged pilot jet, stuck floats, he also jetted up to 300s) when we were riding today, thats the fastest ive ever seen him go, he says it was like a whole new machine, he said he has to actually try and hang on cuz its nothing like it was before

i just put iridiums in my sled that i asked for, for christmas and my xlt runs a hell of a lot better, sounds a little snappier also, a lot more responsive, but....$45 easy for 3 plugs, well that should explain itself.....u could try some and id recommend them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts