Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 polaris indy 650 triple it runs good but when you give it throttle it bogs down for a second and then revs up i cleaned the carbs but left the settings along, it did this all last season also. so if you know what the air speed setting is supose to be let me know thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Flyin off memory here, which can sometimes not be so good. But I think this is what I've got with good results. I've also got AAEN pipes and K&N's and the RXL engine. Your clutches can cause the same reaction as what your describing, keep that in mind.

247 Q2 Needle jets
Remove foam shelf.

Pilot screw should be 1 to 1-1/4 out. I went with 35 pilots after putting in UFO's. Instant throttle response.

320 mains

I run an almond primary spring and a Cat secondary with a 51 helix and a Sno Pro spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys. ill try to check to see whats in there. but i think it might be the clutch like what was said. last season it has a really hard time going across a road or driving in the grass. it wouldnt even move in bad cases. i had to be pulled twice. across some grass. ok so it would rev up but wouldnt move it like it was barly pressing against the belt. i put a new belt on and did the same thing. at first i thought the engine boged down to much and it wouldnt engage the clutch fast enough but now i think the clutch just isnt engaging very strong. how would i fix this? thanks
nick

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stock jetting scale 1990-1991 650: Most people will agree that the Polaris jetting specs are a little on the fat side.

20-40 degree's: 1-3k', 250
3-5k', 240
5-7k', 220
7-9k', 210

I'm actually using 280 mains in the flatlands and 310-20's in the Hills.

The Pilot circuit controls idle to 1/8 throttle, if your bogging on take off I'd try turning in the screw or going to a leaner pilot.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would start by turning in the air screws 1/4 turn and testing. If you turn the air screws in and out and nothing changes, then the pilot jets and passages need to be cleaned. It's VERY common to get small varnish buildup in those, even after cleaning.

When you have the carb out, take a strand of monofilament fishing line and put it through the pilot jet; you will sometimes be amazed at how much stuff is left in the pilot jet even after soaking in carb cleaner. I have also used a strand of telephone line, but there is a chance that the copper can scratch the jet.. have to be careful.

I have the pilots on my 650 one turn out from lightly seated, there is NO hesitation or bog on takeoff.

If that doesn't help, then turn to the clutch...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys, thanks for the help. i went out and took the carbs off cleaned them again and then i noticed something. the throttle slide thing. has the needle that does down into the carb i noticed that it was loose and i pulled it out. the little e clip that hold it on was gone. i found a e clip to fit it but there is like 5 setting on it . does anybody know what to put it on. thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by 74coltss
[br]hey guys, thanks for the help. i went out and took the carbs off cleaned them again and then i noticed something. the throttle slide thing. has the needle that does down into the carb i noticed that it was loose and i pulled it out. the little e clip that hold it on was gone. i found a e clip to fit it but there is like 5 setting on it . does anybody know what to put it on. thanks for the help
Hope for ya that clip is not in the crankcase[:0][V][;)]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where were the rest of them? The middle notch is the ideal place for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by 74coltss
[br]i have a 1990 polaris indy 650 triple it runs good but when you give it throttle it bogs down for a second and then revs up i cleaned the carbs but left the settings along, it did this all last season also. so if you know what the air speed setting is supose to be let me know thanks
Did the clip on the needle fix your problem? I am having a similar issue with the same sled.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Another thing to check for lack of power is the spark plug wire ends. The factory ones lose contact as they age and may not allow a good spark to one of the plugs... I fought carb issues for weeks before finally fixing the problem with new ends... (sure had CLEAN carbs, though! :D)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.