Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Looking high and low for a set of pipes for my '89 Indy 650. I've looked high and low with no luck. Anyone have a set or any ideas?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
found this on craigslist

http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/1956522929.html

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
My apologies. Disregard said link.

·
Registered
634 Posts
found this on CL. I got these on my 650. Kinda loud for trail riding but sound tough as hell.
http://racine.craigslist.org/rvs/1953955630.html

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
After running with and against other piped 650s, I would run either SLP or Aaen pipes. My 91 650 had Aaens and I liked them but the SLPs were just as good IMO. Deckers had more peak HP, but were more sensitive to change in conditions. PSI, I never found their people willing to help and Bruce Kahlhamer is not a straight shooter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i havent found the deckers to be sensitive at all. but im not in the mountains or were there are big elivation changes. Just flat old boring Green Bay WI

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Back in the day, when Dyno Tech did the pipe comparison, the Decker pipes had the narrowest power band.

·
Registered
634 Posts
True but any 2stroke has a narrow power band. Just some a little bit more than others. It seams my set up makes the most power from 3800-4500. (this is just how it feels, im sure its actually different)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
True but any 2stroke has a narrow power band. Just some a little bit more than others. It seams my set up makes the most power from 3800-4500. (this is just how it feels, im sure its actually different)
3800-4500? That's lower than the engagement rpm for piped 650s. The 650s running trail pipes were usually tuned for 9000-9500 rpm. The Aaen's I had were 91-9200.

·
Registered
634 Posts
tnmemr said:
polarisguy23 said:
3800-4500? That's lower than the engagement rpm for piped 650s. The 650s running trail pipes were usually tuned for 9000-9500 rpm. The Aaen's I had were 91-9200.
What!?!?! Well like i said thats just what it feels like but my tack only goes to 10k. Last year i thought my tack was broke because it always said idle was like 4k and engagement was 8k. the engine sound like the rpms were to low for that but may be not. My wife 94xlt is doing the same thing. (all stock) Start it up and the tack goes to 4k and hit the throttle to half and it goes to 10k or past. Your telling me this might be right?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Unless the tach is way off, or the set-up is off, you shouldn't see much above 9000 rpms on a piped 650. The sled needs to be clutched and jetted for the rpm range where the pipes make the best power or you may be getting less performance than a stock set-up. Clutch engagement for the 650 with pipes should be 4800-5000. WOT should read 9200 +/- depending again where the pipes make the power. A stock XLT should engage at 4500 min. and run 8000-8200 at WOT.

·
Registered
634 Posts
ok so i have a short or something in my wiring causing the tacks to be off. thanks for the info. any ideas were to look at in the wiring for the sort? (i.e. were is the plug were the tack connects to the engine)
and sorry to dewalt85 for turning his question thread into my question thread.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
What is your current set-up? As far as the short, I can't help you with that other than checking out all the wires in the wiring harness. I haven't had any problems with shorts in wiring. It's odd that you said the XLT is running similar RPMs. Is this on the snow or on a stand?

·
Registered
634 Posts
not really sure what the clutch setup is. Its a light blue spring with i dont know what weights. same with the xlt. the tacks are the same on both sleds. weather its in snow or on the stand its the same.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Something amiss there. Clutches been rebuilt recently? Maybe not functioning normally. Odd that both would be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
ya the xlt was rebuilt end of last year. new weights, pins, cam arms and spring. ( 10-62 sticks in my head for some reason but not sure.) the 650 prolly should be rebuilt seen as it prolly hasn't been since early 90's. the sled sat from about 92 up until last year when i got it. whats a decent set up for a 50-50 ditch/trail riding? keep in mind im putting an edge skid in with a 1" track and prolly some pics and im running the deckers.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Are you doing anything to upgrade your IFS set-up? If you haven't already, send a pm to JB Shocks here on SF to see what he recommends. I installed an "SP" kit on my 650 which widened the front 2" and had a larger sway bar. The set-up I ran on my 650 is out of date with the newer helixes that became available in the mid-nineties. This is what I ran until I traded in the 91 650 in 95.
Polaris blue primary spring
10M-B weights
42/34 Aaen teflon coated progressive helix
Aaen blue secondary spring #3 or #4
20/39 gears

·
Registered
634 Posts
ya i talked to jb a while ago. I picked up an xtra 10 front end. he said that would be good. I got a set of front shocks from the 02 edge but jb said they would be a bi*ch to fit in. hopefully it all works out. anythings gota be better than the old suspension. Was that clutch set up a kit from aaen or was it all bought separate?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts