Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1991 Indy 650 EFI that will bog down as soon as it reaches 55mph. The sled pulls strong all through the power band but as soon as it reaches 55mph or so it simply will not go any faster. I have already replaced the fuel filter and lines. The computer is not flashing any codes at this time. Please help!!!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Have you checked your plugs... Could be a lean condition. However it sounds more like your clutches need cleaning or your belt needs replaced...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did notice my clutch faces were not exactly perfectly clean. What should I use for cleaning the clutch faces? The belt looks fairly new but I am not sure exactly how old it is. I have EFI and the plugs seem ok a little on the black side though. The sled starts 3 pulls when cold and first time when warm. I have set the idle but not sure of a air/fuel adjustment on 1991 Indy 650RXL EFI. Thanks for the help some of this stuff is foreign to me. This is my first sled I have been riding motorcycles and atv's for the last 15 years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Indy 650 EFI, or as I know it a RXL 650. Did you change both primary and secondary fuel filters? Primary is the one that costs about $65.00 from Polaris. NAPA has a replacement for about $15. Please replace that battery. The 91's were notorious for lean condiotions resulting from a low battery. I'm guessing that this is not the immediate problem since you are bogging. You could have gummed up fuel injectors. You should be able to pull 107 mph bone stock. I'd also check your programming. You could be set up for a different elevation other than where you currently reside. Yeah, I know it is EFI, but on the older Polaris' you had to re-program based on an elevation "range." Hope this helps. But remember that battery, I burned dawn 3 times because of bad batteries. What happens is she will start and run, but if you hold her open for a while, the sled pulls more power than the magneto can push out. Fuel pressure then drops, and the real meaning of RXL comes out. Runs eXtremly Lean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed both filters with the napa replacements. Can I run the automotive fuel injector cleaner through the sled? I have a new battery that has a trickle charger wired to it using a quick connect RC car style connector. I plan on buying a new one every year as I do with my bikes. I am having a problem with getting service on this machine seems nobody likes to work on these EFI models. Can I test the magneto using a multimeter or something? Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The best thing for cleaning the clutches is a scothbrite pad and elbow grease. You will need to remove both clutches. You will need either the clutch tools or an extra set of hands. Disassemble and clean the faces, weights, rollers. Make sure the springs look to be in good shape...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts