Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forums and have a few questions. I did try a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. First I plan to get a reverse kit for my 96 Storm someday but want to gear it down now. That's if I ever find the complete set up. Can I get the reverse gear now and run it until I get the complete reverse kit later? Also what is with all of these different chain types and types of gears? Ex. Hyvo.. Can anyone explain the difference and can you switch to a different style if you change both gears and chain? Would it be advisable to change styles considering I am going to purchase a reverse set up.? I am not sure what I can interchange with. Also I plan to go from a 23/37 to a 21/39 gearing. Is that a good set up for my Storm to mainly ride trails and some open farm fields? I live in Penna and don't run lakes or long wot areas. Thanks..

·
Registered
511 Posts
You can't run a reverse bottom sprocket without the reverse gear, and the reverse sprocket/gear setup won't fit in the chain case with the stock flat cover. You have to have the reverse cover that sticks out farther at the bottom.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
first off, good luck finding just the reverse gear. Hard to find with specific amount of teeth and correct style. You would be better off buying a whole used kit, and then only change top gears if you want to do gearing. changing the number of teeth on the top gear is more effective than changing the number on the bottom gear anyways.
There are 3 different styles during the 1990s: 11 wide, 13 wide, and HYVO. 11 wide and 13 wide refer to how many links wide the chain is, therefore the gears are wider on the 13 wide compared to the 11 wide gears.
I believe HYVO is also 13 links wide, but the shape of the chain/gears make it its own style.
To sum things up, if you change to a different style, yes you have to change both gears plus the chain.
If you know you are going to buy a reverse kit, it would be pointless to change your setup now. waste of time, money, and chaincase oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Polaris man. That is what I was looking for.. I will just try and get the entire reverse set up this summer. Maybe I will get lucky.. I have seen just the reverse 39 gears on ebay though..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Usually a whole used kit goes for $200 on craiglist, and that usually includes the whole case(even though you don't need it) both gears, chain, cover, and the reverse lever mechanism.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
MY OPINION and i state MY OPINION because its what i go off and is not fact, i have bought several used reverse gear complete setups and i recommend buying a new chain. its worth the peice of mind to me. specially if the one you were to buy would be of like a 96? thats 13 year old chain.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There is a reverse gear (driven off the reverse pinion gear), and there is a reverse sprocket. Reverse sprockets are pretty widely available on ebay (I got a couple of 41t 13w reverse sprockets brand new for $14 each).

If you get a good enough deal on a reverse setup with 11 wide sprockets/chain, all you have to change is the bottom sprocket and pinion sprocket to use it with your existing chain and top sprocket. Pinion gears/sprockets are also fairly widely available on ebay.

There is an advantage to going with a larger bottom sprocket gearing down, it allows you to use a larger top sprocket than you would with a smaller bottom sprocket (although you might have to switch to a longer chain). A smaller sprocket provides more resistance for the chain than a larger sprocket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would buy a kit this minute for $200 if I could find one. I still want to gear it down to probably 21/39 since I ride mostly trails. I thought I needed to balance the gearing down to both shafts since it is a significant change. Thanks everyone for the info and a new chain is not a bad idea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts