Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took out my '91 Indy 650 today around the yard. The steering is really tight... took tons of effort even to take gradual corners. Brought it back into the garage - even up on ski dollies it doesn't want to pivot. What's my best approach on this? Pop the rod ends off of the spindles and work back from there?

BTW - bought this thing last spring so I don't have any history with it. I did try to grease up the chassis last month - just used some multipurpose synthetic grease.
Thanks for any ideas,
Steve H.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by srponies
[br]What's my best approach on this? Pop the rod ends off of the spindles and work back from there?
Seems like what I would do. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just disconnected the rod end from the steering column at the center steering pivot. The skis/front end pivots fine. The steering column binds. Guess I just have to get in there and grease it up. Probably also need to make sure nothing else is getting in the way.

Steve H.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Check and make sure the castle nut isn't over tightened on the steering bell, this can cause the symtoms you are experiencing as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steering bell? Is this the center pivot that has the rods going out to each spindle? If so, it moves freely. It just seems to be the steering column. Hope it's not bent. And it's not in the best location to get to the bottom end of it. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Steve H.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just took a whole bunch of greasing to the steering column and it's freed up. What a huge difference. Much more manageable around the yard.

Thanks,
Steve H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts