Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Formula III and was wondering if anyone knows how many Horsepower it puts out.
Also what I should expect for the top speed this machine will do.
I was also wondering if I could use Castrol Injector oil instead of Bombardier oil as it is cheaper. Thanks for any info in advance.

/snofan/../images/users/Formula III/IM000441small.JPG

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
FormulaIII, I have supertrax mag and maybe couple of others back in 1996.. I have to go thru.. archive to get info and stuff for you.. I will get back to you later today. :) gotta love those F3's 600 I always loved those.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My dad had a 97 600, 98 600, and a 99 800. All were NICE sleds. I'm glad to see some other people still like the purple snow eaters. My guess would be 110-115....but it's probly off. Someone will probly get an answer though.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just a note about oil...use the Shell Advance over Castrol, it's probably a bit more than that Walmart special, but way cheaper that the Doo-goo, plus you won't choke to death before you get a chance to get on and go.

Don't cheap out on gas either, good gas and oil is very important for a quick, clean running 2 stroke, and it will last longer too.

Not sure about HP, never popped the hood or rode one myself

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Iv rode one befor and was a little disapointed, I think my 95 xcr 600 would keep up to it with ease, im not sure it was tuned right tho cause I know they are spose to be fast sleds..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by RMK-KING
[br]Iv rode one befor and was a little disapointed, I think my 95 xcr 600 would keep up to it with ease, im not sure it was tuned right tho cause I know they are spose to be fast sleds..
I just purchased it at the end of last season only had one weekend to try it out.
It was quite mild and the trail down the lake was quite soft but managed to get 109 mph out of it though.[8D]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]Just a note about oil...use the Shell Advance over Castrol, it's probably a bit more than that Walmart special, but way cheaper that the Doo-goo, plus you won't choke to death before you get a chance to get on and go.

Don't cheap out on gas either, good gas and oil is very important for a quick, clean running 2 stroke, and it will last longer too.

Not sure about HP, never popped the hood or rode one myself
Thanks for the info the Ski-Doo oil gets a little exspesive at $25.00 for 4 litres.
My brother inlaw uses Castrol in his 96 Polaris XLT and said it was only about $11.00 for 4 Litres.
Is it safe to mix two types while switching to different brand or should I drain the oil tank first.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yes, mixing oils no problem, my Dad has a tendancy to by the good AC synthetic stuff, and never seems to have enough around, and he is always filling his from my non-synth Advance.

I 've talked to lots of Polaris guys around here with 1 - 3 year old sleds, and they all say either the Polaris or Shell, nothing else.

The Shell Advance is about $18.00 for 4 litres at Canadian Slayer, and sometimes goes on sale for 10 or 12...I usually scoop 2 or 3 when that happens.

I figure I go through 5 - 8 liters in my XC a year, the difference between the good and not so good stuff isn't much when you think about it.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
500fasEnuf, what do u think about blue marble oil? I cant find their web site, I might switch to them from ski doo oil and see how it does compare.. I dunno yet. plenty of time to think about it before winter starts!

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi there Glenn. I have the same sled when i bought it new it was dynoed at 124 h.p. and bombardier guarenteed 200 kmh bone stock out of the box.I am also quite certain that the one that rmk king was riding was not tuned properly.in the 1995 december issue of snowsports magazine they put the 96 f-3 against the 800's and it stayed right beside them until the very top end. I am sure you will be happy with your sled it is a bit heavy at 655lbs wet.But i am still unbeaten by any 700 twin. Stock that is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 Formula 3. It has a design flaw from the factory. I had to put a new crank in it at 1500 miles in 98. The outer bearing is starving for oil. When they put the new crank in they packed it with synthetic grease and turned my oil injection all the way open.

I have been told if I set it back to the original setting to us only synthetic oil by ski-doo or synthetic amsoil.

Ski-doo does not warranty any of this, The said it was a corporate disission.

Horsepower I think about 120.

Top end. I had mine up to 115 mph and still had throttle left.

Originally posted by Formula III
[br]I have a 96 Formula III and was wondering if anyone knows how many Horsepower it puts out.
Also what I should expect for the top speed this machine will do.
I was also wondering if I could use Castrol Injector oil instead of Bombardier oil as it is cheaper. Thanks for any info in advance.

/snofan/../images/users/Formula III/IM000441small.JPG

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i once used castrol in my ski-doo because it was the only thing the gas station had. well that sled seized up 3 miles later. it was a pre mix model and yes i did get the ratio right unless the pump meter lied to me. never used castrol again. thats my experience

1 - 12 of 12 Posts