Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 97 xlt600 i use the polaris blue injection oil, just woundering if thiers a better oil to use?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I could reply on this for a long time. This is a very good ?
All I will say is that with the new TC-W3 oil that came out in 1992, that this oil now has all the lubricitity and detergency that you need to cover the older free airs, fans, and new liquids. Is there better oil? Yes-but this TC-W3 rated oil meets all manufactures warrenties. So if you like polaris brand then use it. If you like synthetics then use them. But settle for nothing less than the Tc-W3 rating if in a pinch or as a main use and you will have know problems. Almost all the name brands are the TC-W3 rating but they still make the TC-WII oils witch are cheaper in price and work great for the free air sleds.

TXC

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well said TXC,

I still run polaris blue oil in my Triumph. I get a pretty good deal on the stuff from my dealer at their september sled fest. So i usually stock up on the stuff in september so that i have enough to last me all season. I think i've got about 5 gallons now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So as long as it is rated TC-W3 it is good?? Generics??? Sometimes in a pinch I will buy whatever the gas station is selling as long as it is TC-W3.. Even cat oil in the polaris[:0].. My buddy told me it is the same oil just a different dye coloring..Also how do you transfer from traditional manufacturers oil to synthetic oil and is there an advantage??

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes the TC-W3 will not hurt any two cylce out there including outboard motors. TC-W stands for Two cycle water cooled oil. The boating industry are the ones who developed the two cycle oil. As the oil got better the oil to gas ratio dropped. Also with the disapearence of lead in gas the oil manufacure had to again change the oil to what we know it as the TC-W3 rating. This rating was also changed because of the oil injections that became so popular in the early 80's. The "3" now means that this rating will cover all kinds of two-cycles old and new. If all you can buy at a gas station is a generic and it says TC-W3 then dont worry it will get you by with now worries. As far as changing over to synthetic Im not sure but would assume you would have to empty out all other oil and then bleed the lines after filling with synthetic. All I know for sure is if at all possible, never let the oil resevoir get below a 1/4 full. At this level there is a chance of getting a air bubble in the line and if that happens the out come can be bad.

TXC

·
Registered
553 Posts
As far as synthetics I will say they burn cleaner. Less deposits. There not the mineral based oil like the TC-W3. But Im not sure at what year it is safe to change over to synthetics. I would ask a dealer.

TXC

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use Amsoil series 2000 synthetic. It's primarily a pre-mix oil (I use it in my race mx bike) but can also be used as an injection oil. IMO only use a full synthetic

·
Registered
553 Posts
If anybody is wondering I use Injex. It was rated #1 in its price catagory for the best flow at low temps. Which is what you whant in a injection system.
TXC

·
Registered
414 Posts
i use castrol synthetic in my 94 wildcat and have been doing so since my engine overhaul three years ago,seems to work fine. the best part is that the oil never freezes like ordinary oil do ( it is cold here in jan-feb)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have not seen or heard any negatives regarding mixing synthetic with petroleum based oils. The polaris owner's manual doesn't say anything negative about it. When I changed over, I first went to polaris synth, then when the reservoir was as low as i dared let it go I switched to amsoil. Been using amsoil for a couple seasons now.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I use synthetic in my old (1990) machines... So i wouldnt worry about age of the machine either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I only run amsoil or klotz, have you ever seen the diffrence in a piston used with non-synthetic oil? Then go take a look at a piston with synthetic oil. Theres a big diffrence. If you don't believe me i might be able to take some pic of some old pistons i have.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote: from SnowSports Magazine, Snow Goer Clinic;
"the Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act, makes it illegal for any manufacturer to require the exclusive in the U.S. use of their private label oil to keep their warranty valid. If you look in your owner's manual you will find the rating of the oil they recommend for use in their engine along, of course, with the recommendation to use their own oil."

This imply's that all machines (engines) must be capable of running any brand of oil meeting the standard set out in your manual.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by vipersj
[br]Quote:
This imply's that all machines (engines) must be capable of running any brand of oil meeting the standard set out in your manual.
You bet, they are capable, would I do it , no, but then i don't buy a new sled every year either. That law stipulates that no manufacturer can require you to use their oil. that doesn't mean their oil is better. they just can't require you to use it. I don't think someone has the "best" oil. I just think synthetics are better than petroleum based oils. So I use synthetic in my truck and sled, and boat. Not that it really matters but my last truck, which I sold to a personal friend, is now on 200,000 miles with no, no, internal component failures. I used synthetic oil in that truck from 10,000 miles until I sold it at 85,000 miles. Oh, yea, it's a Ford. Doh!

·
Registered
671 Posts
well when i ran ouat my ol oil and swtiched to syntheitc, i jsut dumped the synthitc in when my oil got time to refil, never had any problems, it just kept on a runnin, and been runnin ever since

·
Registered
128 Posts
my comment on this subject is clean cheap oil is better than dirty synthetic oil in an average car. people seem to try running the synthetic longer because its more exspensive. its the dirt and sludge that wears out your engine more than how good your oil is! a high performance engine 2 or 4 stroke however can benefit from the better lube qualities of clean synthetic oil. myself i have been running the top end outboard oils in my sled with really good results. when you look at the lube hand books from all of the major oil companies you will find that the outboard oil is now the same cold pour point as the snowmobile oil only it has far better moisture protection. if you ask me more sleds are f*d up on cheap gas than cheap oil![;)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts