Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last season I had some overheating problems which I think are resolved, but I would like to get rid of the idiot light and install a temperature gague and wanted to see if anyone has done this and can offer suggestions on where to buy, what to look out for, installation...
thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I installed a temp gauge in my Triumph, It was a fairly simple install, but i bought mine right from polaris. All it required to do was to cut a 2" hole in the dash to mount the gauge, and to cut the top radiator hose to install a plastic "T" in which the sensor mounted in. Then run a few simple wires and and your done. This was a fairly simple install and yet you still keep the idiot light...so you have a back up system per say. I think my guage ran around $60 but im not sure on the price.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im in the process of doing a dual temp gauge on my older cat 440 F/C, sled and found a place that all kind of cool temp gauges even exaust probe temp gauges "most accurate" the name of the company is westach, check them out at westach.com, hope this helps ya out

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey Vetboy,
My 1981 AC Trailcat has dual thermo-couples....extremely acurate.
Uses special thermal wires mounted under each spark plug, and goes to 2 gauges.
Might want to see if you can find some of those for your cat.
Prob way cheaper than EGT's if you can find used ones, and more acurate.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's an easy installation. Just buy one from any automotive store and cut a hole in your dash somewhere. Plug it into the same spot as your idiot light was (on the left side of the head). It should have all the adaptors you'll need. If you can find one get one with an electrical wire to the sending unit instead of a vacuum line, it will be easier routing it to your hood. Hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey i was going to do the same thing to my 500 Polaris indy sp But i was thinking why clouldent you just unscrew the old sencer out of the top of the block. lt is the kind that has only one place for a wire to hook up on it just get one that has the two things for wires to hook on and take a miny car gauge of a guage off some other sled and hook it up it should work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. lots of great slightly varying opinions. I am leaning towards going to Walmart and getting a gauge and hooking it to where the old idiot light connects to on the block. from what I understand, this should not present problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently helped a friend hook one up on his ski-doo formula and we had to change the sending unit from the idiot light to the guage. I am of the understanding that the idiot light only activates at a set temp vs, the sending unit for a guage has a variable output so you can see the increase in temp.

Reneg600

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok guys, im not sure on each individual sled, but i do know that some sleds use that seemingly simple sensor as part of the ignition system. For example when the enging gets too hot it retards ignition until the sled is cooled down again. Once again im not sure what sleds this was or wasnt on, but its something to think about.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I believe triumphoverU is correct, some sled that sensor is rigged into the ignition system, I dunno if I'd screw with that or not, easier to just get the T-pipe I think.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
O ya, and exhaust gas temp and water temp are not the same thing at all. exhaust gass should be around 1000, and water temp should be MUCH less, like, 100-boiling, if it's boiling over, that's a BAD thing. but U gotta keep it fairly warm to, always a battle on grass, keeping it in that vertain heat range, not to hot, not to cold.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i just did a test run up on my new head temp gauges, on my cat, man i figured with these thermocoulpe under the plug sensors it would be slow to sence tempature much to my amazement its lighting fast you can watch the gague rise and fall as you gas it !!, these type setups are great for keeping an eye on if things are getting to hot, it didnt take too much work to install either, i think its a good mod. plus it could save your engine before you meltdown, saving you big bucks in the long run.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You must first cut a hole in the hood. The unplug the conjuctualtor. Installt he new guage into the hole. Run the wire to the thingamujiggy. Once the Conjuctulator and thingamujiggy are hooked up you then have to put headlight fluid into the resivour and bleed the headlight fluid top get all the air out of it so your high beam works witht he number 2 cylinder.

Hope this helps anklebiter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts