Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 polaris ultra, i am tired to dig it out when its stuck... i want to change all my xtra 10 front end over to my 92 indy 440, what needs to be changed? thanks in advance...... by the way, this forum rocks[thumb]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You need non-CRC xtra10 radius rods. You will need the 10inch shocks, radius rods and trailing arms to get proper geometry. You should have no problem using the 8-inch tie rods.

Non-CRC radius rods are equal length, so they will bolt right up to the 8-inch chassis. CRC xtra-10 have unequal length rad rods for better roll stability. but the top rod is way short and a steering rack is used in addition to short tie rods, so it would require some mild modifications to fit it to the 8-inch chassis

The '97 Ultra has CRC xtra-10, but you can use the trailing arms and the shocks from it on the '92

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
You need non-CRC xtra10 radius rods. You will need the 10inch shocks, radius rods and trailing arms to get proper geometry. You should have no problem using the 8-inch tie rods.

Non-CRC radius rods are equal length, so they will bolt right up to the 8-inch chassis. CRC xtra-10 have unequal length rad rods for better roll stability. but the top rod is way short and a steering rack is used in addition to short tie rods, so it would require some mild modifications to fit it to the 8-inch chassis

The '97 Ultra has CRC xtra-10, but you can use the trailing arms and the shocks from it on the '92

so i can gain a few inches of travel and the same cool look as my ultra? the steering rack is a square alum. tube? i have that on my ultra...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
yes, but you still need non-CRC xtra-10 radius rods. the 8-inch radius rods are too short.
Yes the steering rack is the square aluminum tube in the bulkhead- that signifies CRC, so you can't use the radius rods from your ultra

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
yes, but you still need non-CRC xtra-10 radius rods. the 8-inch radius rods are too short.
Yes the steering rack is the square aluminum tube in the bulkhead- that signifies CRC, so you can't use the radius rods from your ultra
the radius rods from the indy 440 will work? if not which sled will work.... i have an old indy trail and access to 93 xlt parts as well... the reason for all of this is because last year i fried my 680... i put in a 503 rotax to finish the winter, but it is to finnicky and looks like crap.... today i tried to put my 440 liquid, but the 680 mount is too spread out so i need to do mods to it... i would fix the 680, but man its a heavy pig... i do most of my riding in the woods, its tight and twisty... kind of a pain with the triple... my ideal is a 488 or a 550, but the 440 is here so....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
turbonator said:
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
the radius rods from the indy 440 will work? if not which sled will work.... i have an old indy trail and access to 93 xlt parts as well... the reason for all of this is because last year i fried my 680... i put in a 503 rotax to finish the winter, but it is to finnicky and looks like crap.... today i tried to put my 440 liquid, but the 680 mount is too spread out so i need to do mods to it... i would fix the 680, but man its a heavy pig... i do most of my riding in the woods, its tight and twisty... kind of a pain with the triple... my ideal is a 488 or a 550, but the 440 is here so....
No, the 1992 indy 440 has 8-inch suspension, the radius rods will not work, they are too short. You need to use extra 10 non CRC.
here are some example sleds of non-CRC:
97 440 liquid
97 indy 500 carb
97 storm
97 supersport
97 trail
97 XLT RMK/SKS
98 440 liquid
98 indy 500 RMK
98 storm
98 superport
98 trail