Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just got my new track yesterday . I was going to put it on today but , i have never changed a track before. Anyone willing to help me out ?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just got a new track also this past weekend, I just need to go get my sleds from storage.
First thing I do is take the suspension out. Have you ever done this before to that sled? My suspension is only held on by 4 bolts, two on each side of the tunnel. Once you wrestle that out I then go and take the secondary clutch off. Your speedo cable should be right there also, make sure not to damage that in the process of taking that out.
Then go to the other side of the sled and take off the chain case cover, remove both sprockets and chain. Your drive shaft should be loose.
"This is when someone with the same sled should chime in and add any details that I have left out."

Once the drive shaft is loose then its just shoving it to one side or the other to get one end to drop. Mine only having 2 "drive wheels" is a lot easier then my buddies Yami with 4...if you have more than 2 drive wheels then your room for the shaft to come out and refit is very tight.

What size track are you going to? Bigger lugs? I know for me going to an 1.5" I am going to have to notch the track where the coolers run in the tunnel. Also check to see if you have a cooler in the front of the tunnel so you have enough room for your track. Make sure you put the track on right when installing.

I would get started and if you have questions or get to a point that you dont know what to do, take a picture and ask away. If you have never done one take your time, its not something your going to do in a half hour. Always helps to have a buddy around. Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Good information posted, but your sled will have DD, and thus will have no chaincase. Your first step will be to remove the skid as suggested, and after that, the driveshaft needs to come out. How that works, I do not know...never delt with DD. When in doubt, one piece at a time...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^I did not know those had DD...good to know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info . And yes. I am at the DD part... And i am stumped.. anyone with a Diamond Drive that has changed a track and knows the how to remove the drive shaft ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Found this in a snowest magazine. 10 steps to remove the track on an arctic cat with diamaond drive
1) Lift the rear of the sled.
2) Loosen the rear axle and then the track tension. Remove the 4 suspension bolts on the sides of the tunnel. Raise the back of the sled untill the front A-arm of the suspension will clear and remove the rear suspension.
3-4) Remove the drive belt and driven clutch.
5) Remove the drive axle to act drive bolt.
6) Loosen bolts to remove the brake assembly.
7) Remove the act housing bolts.
8) Pull the act drive assembly away from the drive axle and set out of the way.
9) Suspend track in the tunnel with a tie down strap and remove drive axle.
10) Remove tie-down strap and track...Its basically a reversed procedure for track installation...hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
You can probably find something with pictures on HCS or Arctic Chat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for more info , but i already have it finished and put back together. Looked on google. and found a post on HCS and a guy had a awesome write up done on it , with pictures..

But thanks for the info anyways guys !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its Actually not hard at all when I found out how to actually get the DD off of the sled.. Went back together easier then taking it apart hahah.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
with no left over pieces...sounds like a job well done.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I know you have a newer sled, but, did you go through the suspension while it was out? That is when its easiest. Can you copy and paste that website for me, my dad is looking to replace his track next year on his crossfire or is the schematics for the Crossfire R? Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KRSS144 said:
with no left over pieces...sounds like a job well done.
Yep , not even a bolt haha .
kingofkings said:
I know you have a newer sled, but, did you go through the suspension while it was out? That is when its easiest. Can you copy and paste that website for me, my dad is looking to replace his track next year on his crossfire or is the schematics for the Crossfire R? Thanks.
I pretty much just guessed my way to getting to the point where i had to remove the Diamond Drive off of my sled. So then I searched google on how to remove the diamond drive. I had to do this to remove the shaft so I could take the old track out , and install the new. But here is the link I used to help me with the DD removal. http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230041

mine was a little different from this because mine is a 09, this one is a 06 im pretty sure.. Little difference but nothing major. But this link that i posted helped me 100% when it came to removing my DD and getting the shaft out .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cooper30 said:
Nice job tackling it yourself.
Thanks!! This is only the second sled I have owned, and I love picking stuff apart , and then saying, " hmmm how dose this go back together" . Its awesome .

Just learning so to speak I guess!!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Changing a track really isn't that hard, it sure seems like it until you think about it. I know the hardest things when swapping a track or replacing ds bearings for me was getting the exaust springs on(pain in the ass lol) and remembering which way the chaincase bearing went in. Took me about 5 hours on and off. Good stuff to know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Empire087 said:
Changing a track really isn't that hard, it sure seems like it until you think about it. I know the hardest things when swapping a track or replacing ds bearings for me was getting the exaust springs on(pain in the ass lol) and remembering which way the chaincase bearing went in. Took me about 5 hours on and off. Good stuff to know.
Yeah well with my sled I didn't have the chain case bearing. Where my sled has the Arctic Cat Diamond Drive its a little different. But yes it wasn't overly hard when I found out what I was doing. Also had a buddy here with me which helped as well . It's all learn and go for me, it can only get better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts