Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1995 cat 580 ext efi and i am installing elec visor where is the best spot to take the power from?????????? also what colour would the wires be????thanks a lot for any info.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There's several things you can do here.

You can contact your dealer and ask them which plug they use for their factory supplied units.

You can take an electrical test light and insert it in to any unused plugs under the hood close to handlebars. Then use a crimp connector to attach your power wire into the plug.

You can slightly penetrate the insulation on various wires with your elect. tester and tap into a suitable one.

When you're testing these wires, of course your sled needs to be running.
Make sure that once you find one that you change between your high and low headlights. It sucks when your visor only works on either high or low beams.

Once your installation is complete, put a dab of dielectric grease on the connection to protect it from the elements.

You can mount your power wire plug in a drilled hole somewhere on your dash or run the wire under your handlebar pad and have the end sticking out enough to be able to plug into it. You'll want to tie-wrap it to the bars and your steering column. Make sure you leave enough slack to be able to turn the bars end to end.

I'm sure others may have ideas specific to your sled. I've only wrenched on Skidoos and 2 Yamies. Oh yea, there was that 79 A.C. Jag. I don't think that qualifies for your sled. LOL

Good Luck and enjoy being able to see this winter.
WOW, what a concept.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your '95 has an outlet[plug] for a shield base unit. its under the cowling next to the steering shaft. if your shield kit is from Cat the base unit will plug right in. If not you can adapt with a 2 prong connector [looks like a flat 4 prong trailer plug except it only has 2 prongs], from NAPA or other parts store. I think the wire colors on that sled are brown and yellow. Just follow Trailblazers advice and use a test light to verify the correct connection. And by the way, I love my electric shield.You will get used to the cord!!!

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would use the yellow wire, it is a 12vdc feed to all accessories[light, thumb-hand warmers ect.] and the brown wire is the ground. The prints show an accessory plug with those wires there, but where that plug is, I dont know.
Then follow trailblazer's idea of running the wire up the bars, hope this helps and just to be a safe use a tester or a multimeter to check the voltage.

"tie wrap it wide open"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts