Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am wondering what that effects will be on my sled I just got a nito kit cheap for a ATV and I wont be installing it on that .I am interested in installing it in a Pro-x 700 . What are the draw backs has anyone else tried nitro on their sleds . I am just looking for the extra power in a occasional drag race .I wont to spank a buddy who has a done up thundercat .I can stay with him and pull him off the line but when he reaches 70 he just starts to pull away . I want to be able to hit the juice and pass him :) . are there any jetting changes needed for this ????

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
What are the draw backs you ask?

Can you say BANG! Not that the NOS would blow up, but unless you REALLY set your engine, crank, clutch, etc to handle it....you'll end up melting pistons and twisting cranks. Its not a simple bolt on mod. Well, it is but you get my point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tfin pretty much covered the engine aspect.
Although you should know that NOS is not an acceptable solution on a trail ridden sled. Assuming the engine could take the additional power, (which it probably wouldn't) in order to get any benefit from the extra ponies you would also need to regear and reclutch which would make your sled a boat anchor without the NOS.

You would be much further ahead to invest in a big bore kite from a reputable source, these make more power (within a level the crank can withstand) and don't show on the outside. Makes a nice sleeper and you can still ride it on the trail.

Your other option is to find yourself a nice T Cat. [8D]

Whatever you do, ride safe and stay out of the trees.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't want to go totally against the grain here, but there is a system available that is specifically designed for 2-strokes. It injects the nitrous into the airbox, not into the manifold like automotive applications. It doesn't provide massive HP gains but will give 20-40HP. It can also be used at any throttle position because the nitrous is naturally aspirated into the motor instead of being forced in. If you're serious about nitrous on a sled then it would be worth contacting them.

http://www.boondockers.com/

·
Registered
328 Posts
One of the people i know runs NOS and loves it. He uses his sled for hillclimb racing only. It gives him a 300RPM boost/shot. He has to rebuild the sled after every 20-30 shots. Its not something i would recomend for anything but racing. BTW, he runs it in an 03 800 RMK. It is VERY VERY touchy. Takes him around an hour to set it up EACH DAY he wants to use it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the hardest thing is to clutch it, clutching is set for hp at a specific rpm, if you up the hp, the rpms will just rise instead of pulling you harder,

·
Registered
528 Posts
The system that I posted the info on is a fairly mild setup that should not cause reliability or clutching issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Instead of NOS I would put some pipes,clutching and those kind of modds on..it would be a little easier on the motor..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks bigwilly, I've scoped a lot of forums and this one seems to have the least amount of bs and whiners. You can only take so much of all the dickheads before you go somewhere else.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Canuk, Checked out Boondockers.
Seems like a pretty neat deal. Not enough to tear up your motor, but enough to give you a little kick in the seat when you need it. I don't think it cost any more than all the other parts I put on my other sled to get 10-15 extra ponies.
Now I can say I learned something new today.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Chase,

Do you have any other mods done to the sled? I think you will be happier with a clutch kit and pipe set up. You will have the extra power all the time. Another mod that I am tryin this year is the tempaflow. this would keep your carbs running right all the time. This is another area for great improvement.

Just another thought that hasn't been addressed, would the pro-x take the t-cat even with the NOS...?

F6 Sno Pro, this forum is by far the most down to earth i have found as well. I think a big part of that is how closely the mods watch brand bashing. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the sled has pipes and a clutch kit to go with it and it has v force reeds . The sled is my buddies . He got it last year and put those 2 mods on but , He bought a Nitrous kit for his quad to keep up with me and never installed it it is the airbox type setup . It can be set up for 10 to 40 horse shots .With all the talk about the regearing thats not something he wants to try it has a pretty good setup the way it is he was just looking for that little extra something to use onece in a while against a lake sled like my other bros t-cat its a cran shop built 1200 cc fire breathing monster when thisthis hits 70 mph it just pulls everything we wanted to not tell him and set up the pro-x with juice and see what would happen :) thanks for all insight I think we may just let the t-cat rule the ice . OHHHH by the way I ride a 1998 xc700 modded to the hill :) and my summer rides are a gsxr1000 streetbike and a modified mx banshee quad

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You know how the saying goes......There is no replacement for displacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts