Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many of the posts about reinstalling skids frames. I've just finished doing my fourth one this fall and three of those were by myself.

I use pretty much the same method as other people have mentioned, hoist the rear end from the ceiling, use a ratchet strap to compress the suspension, but something I haven't seen posted is spreader clamps. I'm not very strong, have to use leverage alot [:D] (I always say at work that leverage is a girl's best friend!), and I've been using spreader clamps to do a couple of things. For one, I can never get the front bolts to come back far enough to line up with the holes. I put a spreader clamp between the drive shaft and the wheel shaft for the front bolt and I can push the shaft back and position it exactly where I need it.

The other place I use it is sometimes the tunnel is a little tight to get the suspension back in. In my daughter's sled that I did the other day, (took me less than half an hour by myself), there is a sheet metal patch repair where the front hole is and I couldn't get the shaft past the edge of it until I spread the tunnel slightly.

Since using the spreader clamps I don't have to lay the sled on it's side anymore to line up the front holes; good thing, 'cause that's really hard for me to do by myself. (Except when I'm riding up a snowbank![:0])

I'm attaching a picture of the clamp in the compressing position, the one end is reversable and attaches to the other end so that the clamp faces out instead of in to spread instead of compress.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Jacqui.

/snofan/../images/users/jacqui583/spreaderclamp.jpg

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Good one Jacq's...brains not braun...I like it.
Personally I leave the tunnel as low to the floor as I can and with the suspension compressed it goes in easy, this way I don't have to lift the track and truck very far to get the bolts in.
My 9 year old Brock has started helping out with the machines, my five year old Adam is the sledhead, skateboardhead, rollerbladehead, etc, but he's to small to do anything but hand tools.
I should have taken Adams picture when we started tearing down the engine on the Trailcat, he was so excited to see the "guts" as he calls them.
His "s" sounds aren't perfect yet, it's so cute the way he says "piston".
I am working too many hours..can NE1 tell?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Fasenuf
I'm sure you are working too many hours,
however reading your post put a great big smile on my face. It brought back some memories.
You of all people should be taking pictures!
As I'm sure you're aware allready, they grow up so fast. Mine's 15 now and starting to do the wrenching on his own sled with just some advice from the old man.
Enjoy them to the fullest.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts