Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me how to change the brake pads??? it seams impossible to remove the calipair!!
Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
if i remember correctly its not as easy as sounds i know you have to take quite a few things apart to get to it, but i would have to look at my sled or manual so i can remember how i did it and i will get back to ya as soon as possible, if no one else does

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe the brake shoes are mounted inside the chaincase.

1) Remove the chaincase
2) Lift the caliper off the brake disk
3) Remove the 2 pad pins from the caliper
4) Remove the pads

That were the steps on my 89 Indy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know how to do it on a polaris but on my cat there were just two bolts to take off on the caliper. and just slide it apar. there is a colar that holds the rotor in place and cna be loosened with an alan wrench. when the rotor is slid to one side, the pads could be slid into the appropriate pocket. Make sure you re-glue on the metal plates that are stuck on from the old pads to your new ones. then just tighten everything back the way it was. I can give you one tip that may help. with the snowmobile off, make sure the rotor can move back and forth a little bit, otherwise your brakes will be shot in 5 minutes from the rubbing. You would think that it would be best to put that color up tight to the rotor but you have to leave space so it can move back and forth a little. Again, this is on my 1989 Cat. If you could tell us what your sled is, we could be more specific.

P.S. Polaris are weird lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
Zack is right there are four bolts on top. Last year I installed chaincase, and break assembly on my 80 txc off of a 92 indy 500.
There all the same from 80 to 92.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
yup, you don't have to take off the chaincase. pull the top four bolts, and then you can unsnap the springs that hold the pins in. your old shoes will drop out when you pull the pins, but getting the new shoes in while putting the pin back in gets real tricky. It's a 2 hand job, and takes some fumbling around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey I just did some brake work on my 90 indy trail. my way is a little more tricky but requires far less work. take the 4 bolts holding the caliper to the bracket that is connected to the chain case out. then you'll see two pins being held on by a strange little clip, take that off, pull the pins. these pins hold the brake pads in place. the tricky part is wiggleing the pads out and back it. don't get frustated it is possible i just did it. you may need to take the two long bolts out that hold the caliper together, this made it a little easier for me. total time was about an hour. good luck.
p.s. don't take the brake hose off. it can be a b!#$h to bleed brakes on an older indy. DO YOUR POWDER DANCE!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just pulled off my caliper because when i was switching over to my new bars i went to disconnect the brake cable and the fitting snapped off in the caliper! I tried to get it out,but i'm just going to have to get a new caliper now. [:(] But i was wondering, how do i bleed the brakes? Thanks,Travis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts