Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems getting insurance for teens? Trailblazer's son (15yo) just got cut off his insurance (Trailsmart - Lombart) because he doesn't have six year's driving experience. They've had no claims, and he's been riding on the trails (and insured) for four seasons now.

I have my daughter (14yo) listed as an occasional driver on her sled, they wouldn't let me put her on as principle driver (Primus). I can see problems coming up at time for renewal as I will then have three sleds with me as principle driver when my son starts on the trails.

Is anyone else having problems insuring their younger riders? Just wanted to see if this is an isolated incident or the start of a trend. I wonder how they're supposed to get six years riding experience when they can't get insurance to ride...

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
when I insure my sleds they never aask who will ride it.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
In MN afaik you don't need insurance....

Although for liability reasons some type of insurance is a good thing to have.

-Dean

·
Registered
125 Posts
My sled is under my dads name, it was much easier this way and probably cheaper. Because Im 18, I won't know how to drive and I am definatly going to kill myself on the trails, apparently.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Why do you want to make them the principal driver??? Its easier and cheaper to keep them as occasional...

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Not insuring your sled isn't something to be proud of. IMO anyway.

I've had no trouble insuring my machines since I was 16, in my own name, with me as the only rider.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dad says dont worry about insurance. He spent enough money on braces for me so we can't insure our sleds. I dont think our sleds are worth it anyhow.
(the one in front is mine!!!!!!!!!!!) /snofan/../images/users/377safari/sleds in a row.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was through Lombard. They also won't even allow him any more even as an occasional driver.

As far as telling them, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where you are making a claim and find out THEN that the driver wasn't insured. Incidentally I was told a couple of years ago by my insurance agent that if someone under age is injured the courts appoint someone to sue on their behalf. This means you'd be sued by your own child and neither one of you would have any control over this. I'd sure hate to not have insurance if this happened.

In Ontario the sled can't be in someone's name who is under 16; therefore the owner has to be the principle driver. I'm just worried about them starting to disallow younger riders as occasional drivers.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by jacqui583
[br]
In Ontario the sled can't be in someone's name who is under 16; therefore the owner has to be the principle driver. I'm just worried about them starting to disallow younger riders as occasional drivers.
Are you sure?? Because I know that you can have your licence when you are 12... So that doesnt make much sence...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was 17 for this season and my sled is under my name and the insurance is connected with my dads, somehow, I think. I dunno, but it's never been a problem. Somewhere around $70/year for liability.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This year when I sold our old Safari I gave my son a Formula to drive. He is 15, 16 this summer and has had his sled licence for 2 years now.

My insurance company knew he was the driver as we talked about the training course he had taken and how much he was looking forward to riding his new ride this year.

They never mentioned a higher premium for him driving as I had them quote both the Formula and my Polaris full knowing he was driving and they ended up being very reasonable in the end. I was quoted around 450 for my tripple full coverage and 170 or so for the doo (liability and comp only). When I got my bill in the mail, (Just got it and paid today even though I had requested coverage and got slips in November) it was for 526 total, both sleds. A great end to a wonderful season.

If they do start to ding the young drivers I won't be surprised, they are after everything else. I would think young drivers should be less as they are always in the care of the parents when riding anyways.

My son is very responsible and follows the rules to a t. If it says 50, he goes 50, not a click over. Last year at 14 he was driving his brother in the tail spot on his 2 up and I was very relaxed knowing he was back there. He is probably the safest rider I know and always follows a safe distance and keeps an eye on the rear. He would radio sleds coming up and once I acknowledged he would signal them by as we pulled over to the right to let them pass. He drives his pace and is not one to drive in conditions or speeds he is uncomfortable regardless of the sled he is following.

--------------------------------------

Lead by example, it all starts with you!

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by SledHead
[br]
Originally posted by jacqui583
[br]
Are you sure?? Because I know that you can have your licence when you are 12... So that doesnt make much sence...

Yeah, We're sure.
That's what they told me at the Ministry of Transportation office when I bought it and registered the ownership change.
You must be minimum of 16 years old to have a vehicle, including snowmobiles registered in your name.
I've found a couple of companies willing to insure him. Some require me moving my truck to them as well at a substanially higher rate. I'm still trying to find the best deal.

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey safari, you look pretty young in that pick, you sure you can drive a sled? Also, do you have helmet problems, i mean fitting those teeth inside or do you just ride with an open face helmet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey danorevo

Quit talking like a five year old. This isn't that kind of site.
Show your Mother some respect by listening to her advice.
Remember, " If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T say anything at all."
377safari has made many valuable contributions to posts here.
That kind of behaviour gains you respect not only on this site, but in the real world.
If you're not capable of that, don't bother coming to this friendly, informative, family oriented site.

Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts