Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick story on how making a claim for your sled can affect your auto insurance. Two years ago brother in law and I were out racing around on the trails. Mostly open fields..etc. I had a 600 Vmax and he was on a 700 wildcat. I finally got around him (found out later he let me cause he knew what was on the other side of the hill) As I crested the hill there was nothing but a line of trees. I laid on the brakes and got the sled to go sideways but the edge of the track caught and the sled barrel rolled 3 times and then went end over end twice. Called ins company the next day after taking sled to Yamaha dealer. It was a total loss. The ins company paid off no problem. Fast forward 2 yrs. My auto ins comp merged with another company and they more than doubled my payments. I called and asked why and was told it was because of the sled accident. Because I made a claim on it my rates were going up. I called around and found out that every other ins place said the same thing. I told them it didnt make sense because there was never a police report, you dont need a drivers liscence for a sled and my sled ins was a different policy than my auto. I was told that it didnt even matter who was riding the sled at the time of the accident, it was in my name and a claim was made so I had to pay higher auto ins. It still dosent make sense to me. Just a word of caution to anyone making a claim on a sled. Check with your auto ins to see how much it could go up. I dont know if I would have made the claim because its costing me more in auto ins than what they paid out. Here is what I feel the ins comp just did to me /snofan/../images/users/tvan/nutkick.gif

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, that's complete crap! Unfortunately I believe we're going to be seeing more and more of this in the future.

Eventually it just won't be worth it any more to take chances on having some fun. But that's just the way the bleeding heart liberal greenies want it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
if anything i think they should just raise the rates of just the snowmobile insureance after a claim has been made

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was thinking also. They dropped my sled coverage right after the claim. I didnt have a problem with that. I also wouldnt have had a problem if I wanted to put ins on the sleds we have now and they wanted to raise the rate some. But there is no way they should link what happened on the sled to my auto in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At fault accident...that's how they see it.

I was told that it didnt even matter who was riding the sled at the time of the accident
That's not right. At least not in Ontario.
Guy's in Ont are going to have a hard time insuring the bigger sleds from here on in. They are being black listed like bikes were a few years back. A lot of companies aren't accepting them, and if they do...there's a large premium involved. The way it's going, it'll be easier to get insurance on a CBR 900 than it will an XC 800.
Just a little "insider" intelligence. Sorry for the bad news.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similar problem with a my car that was hit in a parking lot. It was not my fault but my insurance premiums went up anyway. Insurance is the biggest scam of the new world. Stupid lawsuits for people trying to make a quick buck off of an accident is causing all this. My motorcycle club is having the same problem with insurance. Some lady was riding in the woods without a helmet or even shoes (she was wearing sandels). Anyway, she had an accident and sued the DNR and eventually the motorcycle club for not properly marking trails.. THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sorry giggling at the bike story.. that's just wrong.

I was t-boned two weeks ago, broken leg in the winter sucks. Guy in our party hit me. Anyways..both my sleds invloved he was riding my wifes, can't see claining it for the same reason..will be a personal fix.
I lived though the bikes and the black lists..for see it coming to sleds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tell me about the price of insurance. We have our truck insured with Wawanesa, unfortunately they will not insure anything larger than a 600. What's really unfortunate the insurance broker didn't find this out until a week after we had Baby (ProX 800) home. So there we were...no insurance. I finally had to go with Royal Alliance (this was in Nov....I still don't have copy of the policy from them). My bare minimum insurance is costly almost $700.00 not including ice coverage or collision. The [email protected]#$%*$s wanted another $4000.00 bucks for collision. My broker showed me a list of machines that have been black listed by various insurance companies....basically anything over a 550 to 600 cc engine....including the newer high hp 4 strokes. What's even sadder is that there doesn't seem to be alot of coverage about this problem in the local media. I know of a number of people in our own little town who have gotten their new big machines home only to find out that they are going to get SOAKED for insurance. REGARDLESS of their driving record. [:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$4000????/snofan/../images/users/tvan/scared.gif That is outrageous. Thought I read somewhere that insurance is mandatory in Canada. Is that true. Paying that much for insurance would easily price me out of sledding. Even with the conversion rate.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Its only gonna get worse.i think half of it is people sueing for their own stupid mistakes to make a quik buck,and the other half is the insurence companys are crooks.untill governments step in were screwed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A lot of machines are mysteriously "stolen" when they finally have to start their payments.
Don't get me wrong...I'm all for lower rates, let's just use our heads. We're not talking about $300 machines here.
Most of the increases are from bodily injury claims. The BI part of your accident benefits.
until governments step in were screwed.
...You are exactly right LUVEMALL, they need to step in to stop chiro, physio, message therapists etc..from making these simple claims into HUGE dollar figures. Not only do the companies have to pay for these services, they also have to pay for the injured person's salary. It adds up real quick. It needs to be regulated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After about 20 phone calls to different insurance agents I finally found one that didnt ding me for the snowmobile claim. /snofan/../images/users/tvan/thumb.gif
Now I can go back to worrying about important stuff...like how much snow we will get next year[:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts