Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know it is not mandatory to Insure your sled in Mass. is it mandatory in other states to insure your sled? Also what is the cost?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it is in ontario... I pay around 200$/yr for a 377 fan... [xx(][xx(]

·
Registered
777 Posts
i pay my basic 80.00 or so in manitoba.thats because it costs around a extra 4- 450.00 to get fire,theft, or collision

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No wonder why we are seeing all these post of people selling there sleds and getting out of the sport it can get expensive with ins + registrations. If you get a year with no snow it's even worse. I do not have to pay for Ins and my registration is only $80 a year (I live in Mass but ride in NH). I probably would get ins if I owned an expensive sled but mines just a beater.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
$44/year for my '93 XLT. Comp only.
$150/year for my 2000 Triumph insured for $4000.
Includes insurance on trailer.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Not required in MN. I haven't had insurance on a sled since '98. What can I say, I'm a knucklehead. Then again, due to low snow conidtions and high work loads, averaging 320mi a year doesn't give one much chance for accidents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess all sports are the same, if you own a boat the costs are just as much you have to pay to play. The fun you can have on a sled out weighs most of the costs.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I believe it's mandatory here? Well it is for me with a loan, $252us a year for full coverage(theft,fire ect.) or $20 a month...not that bad I don't think.

G

·
Don't need it here in Montana. I insure my $7200 sled with full coverage for around $200 for 6 months and for theft the other 6 months for around $35. I don't insure may other sleds at all.
I think it is about $35 to register them.

D

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I registered my Pro X for... I forget how much it cost cuz I paid it at the same time as my truck's insurance.

I get comprehensive, third party liability, accident benefits and collision. It's all worth it too, cuz last yr when I hit that stupid deer, I had over $1300 damage, I pay my deductible and now I have my new parts. Better than paying in full for parts.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It might be required in BC but I'm not sure. I do not subscribe.

Don't feed the machine! [}:)]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
if I had a new sled i'd insure it. But I'd rather not pay for other's stupidity when my sled is a 1992 model.

It's called self-insuring. As far as liablity goes, ride safe, ride sane, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

-Dean

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got a new Rev , and If you want to sled into Canada from the states , you are suposed to have Insurance. at least liablilty, I just got a quote from progressive for 675per year . Am I asking the wrong questions because I would rather pay less.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you ride in Vermont this year, and the VAST trail system, you have to have it, or you won't get a pass, needless to say, they fail to mention the minium amount of coverage.

·
Registered
957 Posts
In california you don't need insurance and it cost me $30 to register it a year ago and my registration doesn't expire till 2005.

Pretty much most people I know only have insurance in case they destroy the machine... THere are so many good spots to go rideing here, and nearly no trails, you really don't see many people when you ride (I stay away from the groomed trails as that's where all the tours go... or I ride them at night so you can see oncoming traffic around turns.) So worrying about collisions with other sleds isn't much of a concern to us. When I get a new sled I'll insure it for sure... but being I ride a 96 Ultra SKS with some upgrades, Insurance companies probably wouldn't give me close to what it's worth if I totaled it...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Its not required in Maine yet. I pay like $63 for a full year of collision on a 97 XLT SP.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts