Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well honestly the only reason this year i bought my 550 is for something to ride and it was a good deal. Now my plan is to sell both sled and either find a rev. style 600 or build a 600 Iq. I rode a Iq my uncle rented for a couple days and they are absolutely amazing for ditch banging in my opinion. So if i was to find a IQ Chassis on craigslist with a 440 in it what would i all need to change when i drop a 600 in (which would be a liberty 600 most likely)? Electrical for sure which i was wondering how much approximently? Some tweaking on the jets and carbs so on, clutchs, and possibly gears even though i want it to be geared down. What am i missing? Also how easy is it to find a pipe? Thanks for help

·
Registered
863 Posts
an iq would definatly be a nice upgrade from a 550 fan.
good luck with it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I did this swap and a few members on the site here have too. You will need to get a different pipe/silencer combo or have your 440 pipe modified. If you go with a 600HO, the motor straps off the 440 will work for mounting. As far as the electrical goes, use the 440 harness with the 600 ECU. Obviously its not just as bolt in as you would think or as it sounds. Then you have to work some sort of oil injection bottle and a mount for it. The 440 clutches will work with your new setup, just change out the spring and weights in the primary, and the spring and helix in the secondary.

Chad

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
polarisIQmn said:
I did this swap and a few members on the site here have too. You will need to get a different pipe/silencer combo or have your 440 pipe modified. If you go with a 600HO, the motor straps off the 440 will work for mounting. As far as the electrical goes, use the 440 harness with the 600 ECU. Obviously its not just as bolt in as you would think or as it sounds. Then you have to work some sort of oil injection bottle and a mount for it. The 440 clutches will work with your new setup, just change out the spring and weights in the primary, and the spring and helix in the secondary.

Chad
so only the 600 HO will work with the straps? If its just a regular 600 i would have to modify it? Also im not going to fool with the electrical much i will just have dealer do it if i do this project. How much would you say you have to throw into it to get it running? besides obvious about 2500-3000 for chassis and blown 440.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
A dealer will kill your wallet as well as want one leg and right arm as a deposit. Just do this your self. Ask tons of questions and do your homework. You can DO IT.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i am only 16 years old and have used this site all year with problem help and mod help. the members are very good people and are willing to give you advice on what you need to do.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whitexc said:
A dealer will kill your wallet as well as want one leg and right arm as a deposit. Just do this your self. Ask tons of questions and do your homework. You can DO IT.
Yes, I ment i would have the dealer do the Electrical work most likely. Otherwise i can handle the rest i think

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Total for the swap it will probably cost you like 1200-1500 depending on how crafty you are at places like haydays and how much you can get for the old 440.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man, on e-bay there is an '08 for sale fully converted in WI for $5800 with 1200 to 1400 miles on it. Looks mint! Honestly... save yourself the headache and just buy one already done. Had a friend do one, got sicko dealin with it and sold it. They are a bit tricky in some cases.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
I would never buy one that was already done unless I know the person who did it. Too many hack jobs out there.
Yeah um obviously you have to have enough common sense to check the sled out and make sure it was done right before you buy it. Sorry for not making that clear.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
Total for the swap it will probably cost you like 1200-1500 depending on how crafty you are at places like haydays and how much you can get for the old 440.

Absolutely not. You will be lucky to find a motor and electronics for that, and you havent even dove into clutching it yet or trying to get an exhaust for it. I've got $200+ into just the secondary. The old 440 motor is not worth anything, they are a dime a dozen. I sold my motor, pipe and silencer, carbs, ecu, with a trail head on it even for $300 at haydays because I was sick of hanging on to it.

I bought my 07 600HO motor with 800 miles on it from Erick WITH a pipe for $1800 and that was a good fair price for both of us. I would say I've got around $2500 into just putting a 600 motor in it, between making a can that worked, clutching, oil injection bottle, and I did all the work myself (with help & input from members on here and hcs). It is a very doable project and I dont want to discourage you from going for it because I love my IQR, but its not a cheap project.

Chad

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Its not a cheap conversion, to do it right!! All you need is cash and tools. Now days you can get just about everything you need to do it correctly without fabing up too much. (jspowersports) Prank I'm gussing a dealer (depending on which one) won't touch the electrical end either as its all custom! If they do that would be hefty bill as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MNSLEDNECK56308 said:
Its not a cheap conversion, to do it right!! All you need is cash and tools. Now days you can get just about everything you need to do it correctly without fabing up too much. (jspowersports) Prank I'm gussing a dealer (depending on which one) won't touch the electrical end either as its all custom! If they do that would be hefty bill as well.
Got the tools haha, got the money which i could buy a brand new whole sled with even, but want some money for schooling in two years. I'll be looking into it alot before i actually start to buy the chassis or engine. Also im going to talk to a guy downtown that use to work at a ski-doo dealer that now does his own work and see about the whole electical situation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When my buddy did his the electrical situation wasn't much of a prob. The problem he had was air box. And for sum reason he went with a 600 VES instead of the H.O. cause the VES was suppose to be easier. Idk, do your research.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you can do it just ask a crap load of question on here and ull find it to be alot of help guys and gals here are real helpful plus a pic goes a long way

john

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
polarisIQmn said:
Polaristhewayout said:

Absolutely not. You will be lucky to find a motor and electronics for that, and you havent even dove into clutching it yet or trying to get an exhaust for it. I've got $200+ into just the secondary. The old 440 motor is not worth anything, they are a dime a dozen. I sold my motor, pipe and silencer, carbs, ecu, with a trail head on it even for $300 at haydays because I was sick of hanging on to it.

I bought my 07 600HO motor with 800 miles on it from Erick WITH a pipe for $1800 and that was a good fair price for both of us. I would say I've got around $2500 into just putting a 600 motor in it, between making a can that worked, clutching, oil injection bottle, and I did all the work myself (with help & input from members on here and hcs). It is a very doable project and I dont want to discourage you from going for it because I love my IQR, but its not a cheap project.

Chad
I don't want to get into a huge argument, but I was told by my buddy who has done multiple iq 440-600 swaps that with the 440 motor sold I would have 1200-1500 into it. Thats not going to be with an 07 motor though. I haven't actually done a swap yet, but I am going to. Believe me, I have looked into it. And yes you are obviously going to look it over but you never really know how quickly/poor of a job the guy did on one that is already swapped out.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
polarisIQmn said:
Polaristhewayout said:

Chad
I don't want to get into a huge argument, but I was told by my buddy who has done multiple iq 440-600 swaps that with the 440 motor sold I would have 1200-1500 into it. Thats not going to be with an 07 motor though. I haven't actually done a swap yet, but I am going to. Believe me, I have looked into it. And yes you are obviously going to look it over but you never really know how quickly/poor of a job the guy did on one that is already swapped out.
Yeah no doubt man, I wasn't looking for an argument either, no problems there. I was just telling you how my situation went. If you can find somebody who needs a 440 motor you can get alot more money than I got for my 440 package. (I was a little ummm, ihnebriated[BeerPull], when I sold my motor for what I did, I knew it was worth more than that but it was worth more to me selling it @ the time than sitting in my shop collecting dust)...

Prank - If you want to swap motors, definatly go for it. I love my IQR with the 600HO and I plan on doing a 144" extension this summer. They are awesome sleds and I have no doubts you will love it too. If you need help on the electrical stuff, or anything with the swap feel free to PM me and I'll help the best I can.

Chad

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I looked around last couple days and seems to me like If I used a 600 Ves I would be looking at close to 600 to 800 dollars for just changing a couple things required to make it fit and work properly. So the 600 HO engine would work without all the messing around except a few tweaks. Are the 600 HO engines reliable considering it's a high output engine?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
600ho motor it self drops right in, and its a bullet proof motor! Its found all fusion, and IQ 600's with carbs. Rock solid motor, i had one in my IQR!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts