Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever attempted this? If so, how does everything fit, and how is the riding position? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'll let you know. I picked up a 09 rmk seat and tank for 150 bucks. Somehow the iq seats aren't that spendy compared to edge tanks in most cases. But I have put one on my friends rxl. Check out my gallery.

The only "hard" thing about it is the new tanks have the fuel pump and gauge in the tank. Don't even try hooking it up through that. We tryed for a few hours it just wouldn't work. The older sleds have the fuel pump in the sled already. what we did was take the fuel hose and breather from the old tank. drilled holes about where they were positioned on the old tank onto the new tank. Install the hose and breather on the new tank with fuel line sealer on the threads. Hook it up, bolt it down and there you have it. Not too hard. It won't fit up perfecty in the front but looks good still. Oh and for a fuel gauge most of the older gauges fit on the new tanks so use that. They won't be a perfect judge on the gas but it will give you a better idea where your at.

And the position will be a lot higher. I measured and its about 4 to 6 inches higher depending on what seat is on it

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh and a few other pointers is it seems like all the efi sleds have two what looks like fuel hoses and a breather on top. I know for sure one is a fuel pick up. The other one I'm not sure what it does but you need it.

Carb sleds from what I've seen has only one fuel pick up and one breather. So chances are you only need to drill one hole for fuel and use the existing breather on the tank.

You will also need to close off the original lines on the tank. Im sure fuel won't come out anyways cuz the pump in the tank isnt working but I don't wanna find out. We used jb weld for his. His tank is a fusion style tank.

My tank is the other newer style iq tank where the seat sits on top of the tank. This one you can remove the pump and fuel gauge with the big screw cap deal it is connected to. You can go to menards or something and find a cap and hose clamp to cover the hole to seal it. Then do the drilling for the fuel pick up.

When drilling make it a bit smaller so the threads can dig into the plastic.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I am also planning on doing this, even though I got the seat cheap, I wish the gas tank wasn't so damn expensive.
One thing to consider is the crossover tube for the coolant. My sled has the tunnel protector style coolers with the crossover tube in the back, I'm not sure if that will come into play or if the IQ tank/seat combo is short enough where it won't be an issue.

The CFI IQ tanks have the huge hole in them for the electric fuel pump, don't even bother buying the CFI one and trying to patch that hole up.

As for riding position, the IQ seat sits a few inches taller. But the thing that really gets me is the high density foam that Polaris started using on ~2003 and newer edges/prox's. The foam is great, allows for lots of cushion and is soft, yet at the same time it's firm.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I still have another month or two before I even see my sled, so it will be good to see how either Muscle's or ultraspx's turns out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Good job on the RXL! If EFI is the same as automotive systems, I believe the second line in the new tanks is a return line for excess fuel the engine doesn't require. I'm also concerned about bolting up the seat support, but figured I could fab up a bracket along with a cover for the coolant hose that would incorporate a tail light. I've got a line on a seat for a good price (not much more than recovering the existing ripped seat), but finding a tank is the next challenge! I'll post pic's and info on how it goes!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have a tank I would be willing to sell. I was going to do this, just won't have the money to do so. I can get pics and a price if someone is interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts