Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we are, this is a 2009 Polaris IQR 600 Stocker.
The plotted project is to transform it into a 800 144 Backcountry IQR Sled from Hell.

So for all of you considering a build like this your first step is to TEAR ALL OF YOUR SLED DOWN TO THE GROUND! I mean EVERYTHING. No Bolt unturned…

ENGINE
1. For the engine I decided to keep it a pump gas engine and basically as reliable as possible. So we tore the engine down, and had a local machine shop do the case mods to it. That included installing 3 check valves to the cases, Boring the top case to accept the Polaris Mono block cylinders and finally machining 2 plugs with seal ring groves to plug the injection ports on the Mono Block.

Check Valves

Injection Port Plugs

Case Boring

Polaris Parts

Other that that work, all that you will need is to decide on a pipe set up and bolt on the Polaris factory parts. I decided to go with the Bike Man head in this particular build. I found a good deal on a billet head for less that a stock Polaris head. I don’t expect much of a benefit from this other than the bling factor.
As for the Master Polaris Parts list you will need, I will attach this to the thread as well. You can expect for this price tag to reach nearly $900 or so.

Tunnel

2. So I fell in love with the Van Amburg Boondocker Tunnel. I had to own one in my life time and this was the perfect opportunity! I have never removed a tunnel before. I has been a learning curve and I have picked up a few good tricks along the way. For removing the “ Self Piercing Rivots” I ground down the tail on the inside of the tunnel using a tiger wheel on my grinder. Then punched out the rivots with a hammer and punch. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I didn’t want to damage the tunnel so I took my time and it is still in great shape.

Old Tunnel Removal

Rear Suspension
3. The rear suspension was something that I would of liked to do different, but due to budget I had to make the best I could with minimal $$$$ dropped into it. So I went with the IQR suspension bolted up to a set of Ice Age 144” Rails. I ordered there conversion axle as well. The Fabcraft wheels seemed like a great 8” wheel for the $$. So here we are, should perform good and with any luck I will stick with this set up.

Boondocker Tunnel Mounting
4. So before starting this you will need to modify your foot rest. The support tubing that is welded to the foot rest needs to be removed. We carefully bent down the bottom tab to gain access to the tubing. They are welded in two places. You need to remove the weld the best you can to remove the tubing.
Once you have this complete you can begin to mock up the tunnel to the bulkhead. This is a critical step, the new tunnel has NO guide holes what so ever. So you will need to attach the bulkhead to the tunnel and scribe in your drive shaft hole, Seat & Gas tank holes, and all of your other rivot holes as well. Measure Twice - Cut Once!!!!!!

Foot Rest

ATTACHMENT (klekos)

So that is about where I am at currently. Still a ways to go right now and I am away from home for another couple weeks. So probly no more updates for a little while. Nothing worse than leaving mid build!
And yes I know, that tank is DIRTY! It seriously does not look as bad in person. Might have to consider another tank in the near future.
Stay tuned, this is not done at all

Where we Sit at Now!

Damn, that Neil guy builds one beautiful pipe!
We have a plan for the cooling issue as well, no pics of that idea yet.

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
Looks great Nigel! That will be a ultimate boondocking sled for your riding style, im looking forward to seeing more updates.

· Registered
519 Posts
awesome build!!! im hoping to do the same thing someday. i love the iq platform and would like a bit more power and track which means exactly what your doing.

· Registered
156 Posts
Awesome build! Cant wait to see this finished. By the way I LOVE the Kramer portrait on the wall in the background of the one pic! I have the same one in my garage! (had it in the house till my fiance moved in, said it had to go lol)

· Registered
2,887 Posts
I think I have a tent in my pants! That is going to be the ultimate ride. What a great job you are doing and everything looks great. Keep us up to date...you know those of us that can only dream of something like this!

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FDR_7 said:
wow that thing is amazing. i would love to have the money to do this someday
This project will be no more spendy than going out and buying a brand new assult. That was my goal here. See what you have to consider to do this affordably is. Sell off all old take off parts you will not need. Bolt up good used parts if you can find them. I did find a used monoblock, 8" wheels, billet head and a few other little things. Everything I sold off the sled totaled out to around $2000 already. See, it's not that bad, you just gotta plan it out right.

skinsk5 said:
Awesome build! Cant wait to see this finished. By the way I LOVE the Kramer portrait on the wall in the background of the one pic! I have the same one in my garage! (had it in the house till my fiance moved in, said it had to go lol)
That Kramer has helped me along the way with a few builds now. Dont know what I would do without him!

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Very nice build.. If you go a different way with your rear skid and want to sell the IQR skid, let me know.

this reminds me of a guy I knows sled... 05 iqr 800 thats been stretched.. its sick.

· Registered
889 Posts
Looking very good Nigel! I like the white and black. That Neils pipe looks great and it will perform as good as it looks, heard alot of good things about them. Like has been posted above, love the Kramer picture, Ive seen that in the backround of a couple of your builds haha. What are you going to be running for a track? Any thoughts of dropping and rolling for a better attack angle? Keep up the good work

Chad

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Teicherc said:
Just wondering what you did/or are doing for air intake? Air box or what? How do you find the room for intake setup?
I will still be able to tuck the stock air box and intake system in there. Actually should have more room than stock since I have removed the cooling hoses from that area.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
also love the Kramer portrait!

That tunnel is the real deal!! Not only looks bad-ass, but extrememly functional with the angled foot stirrups in the rear.
Also love the black and white color scheme going on!

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well she is about all buttoned up now. I am waiting on a few things.
Spindal Bushings(lost them?)
Hood Vents( then I will cut the rest of them when they arrive)
Complete Wrap
FLY Kill Switch

I have the engine all heat soaked and the oil and coolant lines bleed out.
The Pipe is currently getting ceramic coated and them it is off to Arctic Man to break this warlock in! Wish I would have took a video clip of the sled before I removed the pipe for the coating.
Well here are a few more pics, the hood is currently an eye sore but should be looking a little better real soon. I blacked out the headlight assembly aswell. We will see how that works. I tore the lense off the housing and painted the inside of it black. So still have the benefits of a headlight but looks blacked out when the lights are off.
Here are some pics. Should be good to 170hp on pump gas.

MORE..........
ANTI CFI 800R

· Registered
566 Posts
wow a buddy dropped a turboed dragon motor and a 163 in his iq atill buildin it should be done soon tho but yours look way nice very nice build how much you got into it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.