Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has used the Iridium spark plugs. They're roughly 3 times the cost of the normal NGK line so I was wondering if
anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

Worth it or not?

thanks,

david

·
Registered
807 Posts
I do notice an improved idle with the Iridium. A friend who was tracking his fuel economy switched to iridium and found no difference. What I do not like about the NGK or Autolite (less expensive version), is the screw on cap. I prefer solid caps and the solid caps seem to have a better fit in wire boot. Actually a champion plug seems to fit a NGK boot tighter I found.

If the Iridium plug is available with a solid cap I would recommend it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
My RXL used to foul spark plugs all the time. I switched to iridium plugs and never fouled another. I didn't notice any difference in mileage or any other aspect. But if your sled fouls alot of plugs then they may be worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Nice try but you are incorrect. I did actually try that. Fouled while riding not idling.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
NGK does make a fixed capped plug. I have both screw on and fixed top for my SRX. I had trouble with the top coming off so i switched to the fixed top.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
GotMud said:
Nice try but you are incorrect. I did actually try that. Fouled while riding not idling.
Then that is your oil pump adjustment.. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Again you are wrong, and I'm not quite sure wtf your trying to answer anyways. Why is it your trying to diagnose a problem I had 4 years ago in a thread not at all the same? I'm well informed when it comes to RXLs, and mine was setup very well thank you. Do you have anything to contribute to this gentlemans original question or are you just trying to look smart?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I've read claims of better fuel economy and/or better throttle response with Iridiums. I have personally used them in a couple different sleds, and found no benefits what-so-ever.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quinlan said:
I've read claims of better fuel economy and/or better throttle response with Iridiums. I have personally used them in a couple different sleds, and found no benefits what-so-ever.
I agree,never noticed any difference,waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
On my 07 600cfi, I have tested brand new sets of Champion and NGK plugs, back to back. I couldn't believe how the reg NGK plugs had more of a crisp and cleaner mid range.

The NGK to the NGK Iridiums, had the same crisp and cleaner mid range. I did notice the Iridiums have a little smoother idle.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
IMO they are not worth it. I seen no benefits what so ever. Maybe the electrode will not erode as quickly? Give me a dyno sheet to prove they are better than standard plugs, seat of the pants feeling is useless.

One more thing to think about, don't you think if the mfg's could get more power, better fuel economy, smoother running engine, crisper throttle response, and better emissions just by using a irridium plug, that would be standard in all their engines?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I have a set in my 77 TX, paid $6
I havent used the sled enough to know how they are.
Vintage sleds tend to go through plugs, thats why I bought a set.
The manager at the store said try them, if I had problems, he would take care of it.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I use them in my 440. 3 years now. The tend to last longer than traditional plugs but you are paying for it. No real gains.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
You guys talking about fixed cap plugs.

You do not have to get iridium to get that. Just add EYA to the end of the PN.
Example - BR9ES has a screw top - BR9EYA is the same thing but has a solid top

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
arcticcatmatt said:
You guys talking about fixed cap plugs.

You do not have to get iridium to get that. Just add EYA to the end of the PN.
Example - BR9ES has a screw top - BR9EYA is the same thing but has a solid top
I'm pretty sure you can get them either way. I have had BR9ES plugs with both a screw and solid terminal. I currently have a box of BR9EYA and they are screw terminal, not solid.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I've had BR9ES come both ways, and used a pair of small vise grips to squeeze down the cap so it would not come loose. (just at the base so it does not deform the area the plugwire clamps onto)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts