Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to run this by you folks. I just pulled my sled out of the shed the about a week ago to put away the mower. It's 96 RXL 650. I charged the battery, and it seemed to start fine, considering the gas was 5-6 months old. Let it warm up and ran it around the yard one quick lap then parked it. Went out the other night to pull it inside the garage so I can work on it, clean it, prep it etc. It started kind of hard. Now, once inside the clean heated garage, it won't start. It tries, but sputters out. I completely drained the gas, flushed the fuel rail, the battery is fully charged, changed plugs, you name it. There are no codes with the EFI box. Is it possible that this thing does not or will not start if the outside temperature is too warm? Will the air intake temperature sensor and barometric pressure sensor in the EFI box not allow it to start if the temperature is over a certain temp? I thought I read in my manual, something about hard start issues with summer blend gas, and warm temperature. Now, I can't find that part to save my life? Can anyone shed any light on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the summer blend gas is a myth know with the ethanol gas. did you try any type of fuel additive like k100? ive seen gas right out of the pump with water in it with the ethanol gas. and the sled hould start even in the warmth of a garage. did you cange the fuel filter? if not i would star with that because they are sopposed to be cahang once a year anyway. also put some sort of fuel catylist in the gas like k100 or startron.

·
Registered
161 Posts
when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump prime the rail? can you also hear the gas returning to the tank through the return line? Mine had the screen on the pick up line fall off in the tank and my fuel line was on top of the gas sucking mostly air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely drained the tank, even used a little claw tool to grab some shop towels and "swabbed" the inside of the tank to soak everything up. Put in 2 gallons of fresh fuel,(not too much, in case I need to drain it again) added a little HEET with isopropyl to absorb what little moisture may have been left. Fuel pump work great. It even disconnected the fuel lines from the tank and flushed the rail with fresh fuel, using the pump. Hooked everything back up, fuel returns to the tank as it should, after the rail is primed. I did not change the fuel filter yet, I'll need to get one. But it does flow like it should. Just for the sake of trying I shut the heat off in the garage last night, and left the door open a little. I went out this morning, 29 degrees in the shade at the house, and 35 degrees in the garage. Turned the switches on, heard the fuel in the tank, and yanked the chord. It started after about 5 pulls, then idled briefly, then died. Pulled again, it started, idled then died. This happened a few times. Far better than yesterday in the 65 degree temp of the garage. I too think the sled should run regardless of the temp. Still kind of scratching my head on this. I do have a new discovery. The sled came with NGK BR8ES plugs, But I think the manual calls for BR9ES, I assume one is a hotter plug than the other? I'm heading out to go get some BR9ES's and a fuel filter. Thank you, to all of you, for the help so far! I do appreciate it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The plugs may cause this a bit, I'm not sure. I do know that my 91 RXL always started on the second pull....The first pull would set the timing for the ecu and the second pull it would fire right up.
Ok, I just re-read your first post...
try checking you clutches and belt...maybe ones stuck a bit and not letting the motor free spin.
remove the belt and see if there is any difference with it startiing...

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Ok, turn the key on and disconnect the PTO (clutch) side injector plug. See if the ECU starts blinking a code.

If the ECU starts blinking a code then replace the injector.. It's electrically ok but physically stuck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I replaced the fuel filters. I saw two. A small one on the pick up line from the tank to the pump and one from the pump to the rail. Replaced them both. I have had the belt off pretty much the entire time so I don't accidently launch the sled through the garage door. I changed the plugs to the 9's instead of 8's. I got the sled to start. it idled a while longer than before. This time it sounded like it wanted to take off, but just couldn't seem to do it. It is frustrating. This sled has always been a great runner and I was always very pleased with it's ease of starting, Two pulls, every time. I never thought about the injectors being stuck. I'm going to go try that. Thus far I've had no codes. I'll be back soon. Thanks again to everyone.

Okay, ran out to the shop and unplugged the injector. Code 23 appeared. Plugged it back in, no code. Did the same for the other injectors. Same results with corresponding codes. Is there any way to clean the injectors? I just hopped on the Polaris site and I can't tell if the price of $139.28 is for all 3 injectors or each. If it's each, that's just a little rich for my blood.

That's each, totaling $417.84. ouch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I decided not to give up just quite yet on the injectors. I tore apart the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors with compressed air, and reassembled. Quickly attached the EFI box and it started. As I was realigning things I was wiggling the wire harness, to make sure connections were good. Sled acted as if I hit the kill switch. I discovered a couple loose connectors at the EFI box. Also while checking those connections, I noticed one of the ground connections down by the recoil was loose. Repaired the connections, and now the sled is operating normal again. Bring on the snow! Thanks again for all the guidance!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

I wish it was that easy to solve all problems...

·
Registered
161 Posts
^^ x2
The grounds are so important on those RXL's

Congrat's and yes bring on the snow!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts