Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not to sure what i have here sry no pic its all apart right now but i have some items on the sled that might help the first 2 #'s on the tunnel are 78 im not sure if thats the year or not but the hood is black and has a small compartment on the dash i know its a 440 and in the year range from 1977 to 1980 any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there,
The Exciter you have is more than likely a 79. 77 and 78 Exciters didn't have the compartment on the hood. They started putting them between the spedo and tach. in 79. Those sleds are a blast to ride and very quick little machines. I had a 81 a few years back and what fun.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks i was jw was it just luck that the first 2 digits on the tunnel were 78? is there any other way i could check to make sure it truly is a 79 just incase they threw a 79 hood on it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by Mehalco
[br]Hi there,
The Exciter you have is more than likely a 79. 77 and 78 Exciters didn't have the compartment on the hood. They started putting them between the spedo and tach. in 79. Those sleds are a blast to ride and very quick little machines. I had a 81 a few years back and what fun.
My 78 has it between the speedo and the tach. One owner sled, still in the family. Aslo a picture could help, I belive that most of the 77 were white or red, 78, 79, 80, and 81 had mainly black and gold paint with differances throught the years.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my buddy has a 78 that is white though

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a way to tell on the tunnel # the first 2 #s are 78 so does that mean its a 78?

·
Registered
6 Posts
go to al,s snowmobile parts they have a very good site and very good links to oem micro fiche. i have a 81 exciter 440 it is black and gold. it is also very quick. hope this helps

·
Registered
127 Posts
saberstang is correct on the 78's haveing the compartment between the tach and speedo, my mistake. The 76 and 77's didn't. On most of the sled I have owned the year of production is one year before it is released. If it says 78 it's usually a 79 Model.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i couldnt read this other sticker but after looking very closly i see it says date of manufacture 5/80 so i asume its an 1980

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all your help found it its an 81 8l5.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so now that i know its an 81 is there anything good about this year and model?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i found some evidence that i should of saw a long time ago on the belt gaurd it tells you what the sled is heres what it said
ex 440e (8L5)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much hp does this sled have?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh cool i just bought another one today this one is an 80 exciter 440

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
put the new seat on and put some handle bar warmers that were on the other sled there on the 81 now i will post pics soon engine wont be done for a while though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts